New Beer TV show on Discovery! "How Beer saved the world"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On another note - it is obvious after watching the first half of this show, most people are really ignorant of the history of beer and really just think it's a means to just get drunk with. This makes me sad. Very sad.

On another note - it is obvious after watching the first half of this show, most people are really ignorant of the history of beer and really just think it's a means to just get drunk with. This makes me sad. Very sad.

But beer is the reason we went to the moon, right? :drunk:

OK, serious question here. I've been reading and searching and I stumbled upon this from one of Revvy's links.

"When you mash the emmer wheat, it produces a sugary solution. The archaeologists trying to make Egyptian beer did conventional mashing and boiling in modern pans, and the three-day fermentation took place in a gallon jar. Ancient peoples baked bread after they learned to brew beer."

http://thisisdiversity.com/articles...tian-style-beer-is-so-popular-how-to-make-it/

Am I missing something here?

Am I missing something here?

No - as you have been so quick to point out multiple times in this thread - the ancient history of beer is not well known.

Based on what I've read (the Hymn, Schramm, some ancient beer book - can't find it now, Oogle, etc.) - I believe the evidence points to bread first; then beer....

at least tell me you don't think Ben Franklin actually said "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." :fro:

i bet you he said that in one form or another, just because i have ran into that quote a few times in various different places... but how would we really know without going back in time..

No - as you have been so quick to point out multiple times in this thread - the ancient history of beer is not well known.

Based on what I've read (the Hymn, Schramm, some ancient beer book - can't find it now, Oogle, etc.) - I believe the evidence points to bread first; then beer....

Thank you. I know I'm being perceived as an asshat, and maybe I am one, but I'm trying to figure this out and I've had all of two hours to try and research this more completely while also replying here.

I do actually appreciate legitimate replies.

i bet you he said that in one form or another, just because i have ran into that quote a few times in various different places... but how would we really know without going back in time..

Because there's an actual letter from Ben that says this:

Ben Franklin's letter from 1779 to André Morellet said:
Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.

Believe the letter; or believe the t-shirts being sold down at Venice Beach :D

Thank you. I know I'm being perceived as an asshat, and maybe I am, but I'm trying to figure this out and I've had all of two hours to try and research this better while also replying here.

I do actually appreciate legitimate replies.

It's all good - it goes back to that main point of homebrewing: ask 10 homebrewers how to brew and you'll get 11 answers.

:mug:

In the spirit of this post:

Bitchin! Ya!

They really are stretching some of the "facts" Wow. But hey, it's ok. We will just have a bunch of ignorant beer drinkers (BMCers) spouting all this "stuff" out and inspiring the more intelligent people to do a little research and become outstanding members of the homebrew community.

Let's hope.

AZ IPA... oh.. i didn't know, i was just saying.. because the way i read your post seemed like you where challenging the quote.. no harm, iv been reading stuff all wrong lately..

well back on subject.. that show was bad far stretch for alot of things... and how they directly related so many things...

AZ IPA... oh.. i didn't know, i was just saying.. because the way i read your post seemed like you where challenging the quote.. no harm, iv been reading stuff all wrong lately..

It's much easier, and cooler, and more marketable to say "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" than to say "Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." ~ Ben Franklin :D

After watching this show ... especially with the "space" tangent, ....

I...want...to...drink...a...Miller...Highlife....Help.. Coors is looking good now... help.......

For the masses it can only be good. For us, it is up to us to make fill in the real facts when people talk about the show.

Ok going back to drinking my good beer :D

Missed this thread. That's what I get for not spending enough time here. I'll have to search for it on Direct TV and record the next episode.

FWIW while people were known to be fermenting beverages in Asia around 7000, and before that they were fermenting for food storage. I have a thing for wanting to try brewing ancient beers. If they were good enough for ancient gods, well, heck, I wanna get me some o that :)

Wow. I take off to buy a conical fermenter and come back to 11 pages of Rev. and AZ_IPA whooping arse...
box0715.gif

To think they canceled Brewmasters for this crap show... I still think that the best show is "Beer Wars". It is aimed at homebrewing and craft brews. But thats IMO.

Back to your regularly scheduled lashing...
t_lowblow.gif

AZ_IPA said:
Because there's an actual letter from Ben that says this:

Believe the letter; or believe the t-shirts being sold down at Venice Beach :D

It's all good - it goes back to that main point of homebrewing: ask 10 homebrewers how to brew and you'll get 11 answers.

Franklin actually wrote in his autobiography that he actually got ahead in life because he drank water instead of beer, and was glad to not have to pay that expense, and generally wrong some negative things towards beer.

I enjoyed it for what it was. A "not too serious look at how "beer saved the world"". Very tongue-in-cheek.

NRS

AZ_IPA said:
"TV wouldn't lie to me." ~ Ben Franklin

:D

Beer invented tv. People needed something to watch while drinking beer so the beer industry funded tv programs thru advertisements.

You know this show is very discovery channel. I'm surprised there wasn't a time limit on how long beer was allowed to save the world. It's my own fault for expecting something that would be more like A&E or history channel in style and content.

I want a homebrew version of top chef.

I just watched it in the DVR. In Business School I learned about "Subliminal Marketing." Anyone else notice that MillerCoors (now one company) was the major sponsor of this show? It was basically a subliminal infomercial.

There was nothing subliminal about it. Somehow Miller and Coors get mentioned 90 times throughout the course of a 60 minute show, and they don't mention the word "Budweiser"? Or any other brewery, for that matter.

There was nothing subliminal about it. Somehow Miller and Coors get mentioned 90 times throughout the course of a 60 minute show, and they don't mention the word "Budweiser"? Or any other brewery, for that matter.

Exactly, except some "4 Pines" brewery down under, probably a subcomapny of MillerCoors

Back