New beer glasses (swiped this from the gb...)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New beer glass...interesting!

Quote:
Boston Beer chairman Jim Koch thinks he can better the taste of beer, without touching the recipe.

Building a better beer glass

I like the shape, it's pretty cool. I also do believe that the shape of the glass changes how the beer tastes. The Belgians have been doing this for years. The Duvel glass also has the etching at the bottom to keep the constant stream of bubbles flowing to the top.

I'm all for using a specific glass for a specific beer. Glass shape does have a slight impact on perceived flavor... I just don't like the idiots that will only drink wine out of their $150 Ridell crystal pinot noir glasses, and I hope that that sort of idiocy never jumps over to beer. And brewtopia is right; the etching thing has been around for a long time (and it's always been cool)... This seems to me to be motivated purely by marketing.
Still a nice looking glass, though.....

Now, I guess the big question is:

Would this glass only improve the taste of lagers and the like, or would it have a beneficial effect on all beers?

$30 for four glasses is not an astronomical price, if I thought they would make my brews more tasty!

Any thoughts?

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of Rastal's design - dubbed the Boston Beauty - is a dime-shaped "nucleation site," etched by a laser at the bottom of the glass, which sends a constant stream of bubbles to the top of the glass.
Imagine the mess if you accidently over prime

I remember that damn boot from college days. There is a bar in downtown Omaha that has that bastard. I loved getting a boot for the unaware, I would drink from it my friends would drink from it and then the new guy would take the next drink, the one that would let loose the fury of the bevereage in the toe of that damn thing! what a riot, yeah, i do need one for my bar though.

Back