New beer and air travel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendozer

Reaction score
Just bottled some stout, my first batch *applause*. I'll be taking them home via two flights and they'll be in my suitcase. Do they travel well? They should be done carbonating by then, but I just want to know if they'll explode in my bag. That would be bad

thanks

I dunno if they'll explode or not, but just in case, put them in gallon sized ziplock bags. That'll help keep your clothes dry if they turn into bottle bombs.

Wait, don't say bottle bomb on the plane, you might get arrested.

BTW, congrats on your first batch. Welcome to the addiction.

I have an IPA and Brown Ale, that will only be 2 weeks old in the bottle when I leave on vacation this Saturday. Hopefully carbonation will be done, but I'm going to wrap them up pretty snug.

Bubble wrap individually
Gallon Zip-loc
Seal w/Packing Tape

I brought 40 beers back from Europe. Only lost one. Just wrap them good. They should be fine.

What gets you is when the jackasses at security open your checked bag and completely rearrange how you've packed all the bottles. I had a suitcase of just beer on a flight with each bottle individually double-bubble-wrapped, then some towels to keep any of the bottles from resting on the bracket for the wheels. When the TSA searched the bag they put it back differently and one of the bottles came open on the metal piece that the wheel mounted too.

freakin TSA. waste of time. I'll wrap em good and around clothes for protection. I figure it's cheaper than shipping them back. that'll cost a b*tch.

Back