New batch of cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkpenrod

Reaction score
I am wanting to try my hand at making a small batch cider. I have 1 gallon of cider I bought from the store that is 100% apples from a local source, but bottled and sold by white house so it is definitely pasteurized. I have a couple 1/2 gallon carboys with bungs and air locks. My original intent was to do a spiced batch and a straight batch. I had toyed with doing one of them with raisins, dried figs and some plum brandy I had made, but I think I am abandoning that idea after reading this forum and other sources.

I want to make a scrumpy, again my understanding is a cloudy still cider. I have the cider yeast from london brew supplies to pitch. So now I have a few questions.

1. Should I just divide the cider between two carboys and pitch the yeast in and let it start fermenting? Not wanting a clear i see no need to add and clarified.

2. If I want to do a spiced could I save some of the cider and stew with spices to add at racking in the secondary?

If I want a still when it comes to bottling can I just transfer from the secondary to a sterile carboy, cap it with the plastic screw cap and store it for a few months to let it age?

1. Should I just divide the cider between two carboys and pitch the yeast in and let it start fermenting? Not wanting a clear i see no need to add and clarified.

2. If I want to do a spiced could I save some of the cider and stew with spices to add at racking in the secondary?

If I want a still when it comes to bottling can I just transfer from the secondary to a sterile carboy, cap it with the plastic screw cap and store it for a few months to let it age?

1. Doesn't matter, it easier to create more waste with multiple containers while siphoning. You haven't explained why this matters.

2. You can, I have seen recipes both ways (spices during and after fermentation). I would not boil or heat the cider itself though.

Yes but I am a little confused at what you are asking because this is what you are suppose to do during the "racking" process. I do not think I would seal the container though. I would keep using an airlock to avoid a carboy (bottle) bomb.

I am wanting to try my hand at making a small batch cider. I have 1 gallon of cider I bought from the store that is 100% apples from a local source, but bottled and sold by white house so it is definitely pasteurized. I have a couple 1/2 gallon carboys with bungs and air locks. My original intent was to do a spiced batch and a straight batch. I had toyed with doing one of them with raisins, dried figs and some plum brandy I had made, but I think I am abandoning that idea after reading this forum and other sources.

I want to make a scrumpy, again my understanding is a cloudy still cider. I have the cider yeast from london brew supplies to pitch. So now I have a few questions.

I can't comment on adding spices or other flavorings because every attempt at doing that has failed for me (so far anyway).

Fermenting in 1/2 gallon jugs is going to waste a lot of cider when you rack to secondary. And, what are you going to transfer to?

I would pick up a one gallon jug and use that for primary. Allow it to ferment until it stops bubbling then siphon into your 1/2 gallon jugs for secondary. Fill one of them to the top so there's no air space and use that for your aged cider (flavored if you want to). The other jug won't be full and you'll have deal with it quickly so it doesn't oxidize. Like put it into the fridge and let all the yeast fall out then rack it to a smaller container and drink it cold.

Use an airlock, not a capped bottle.

Back