New batch after 13 year lay off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAPPOOL

Reaction score
I just cracked my first batch (Wheat) after a 13 year hiatus and I can honestly say I have not lost my touch. I was a bit worried at first because my air lock wasn't as active as I remember but I trusted my instincts and all came out just fine. Been a long time and I sure did miss the taste of a good home brew. I have a special taste for wheat beers and my next one is a Raspberry that should be ready in a week or so. Can't wait.

I also used a bottle to slow cook a 4 lb. pork roast (Porkette sandwiches), you guys probably never hear of them, it's a western Pa. thing) for my monthly poker game and they came out unbelievable and were all gone before the end of the night. Anyone want the recipe, just let me know.

That sounds great, I'll take the recipe. I love pork sandwiches. Hey congrats on the beer, It's good to hear you have the same old touch.

-funk

Here ya go....Serve it on a good roll...not hamburger buns and it's best with Frank's Hot Sauce, horseradish or pepper rings. Instead of the water, cut that in half and replace with your home brew. Also, I use garlic cloves and not the powder if possible. And I tie the roast up after slicing it to hold all of the spices. This is very easy to make and well worth it. The local bars here sale these for about $2 a pop....Enjoy....Let me know what you think when you try it.

Ingredients ..combine in a mixing bowl

1 tbsp salt

1 tbsp pepper

1 tbsp oregano

1 tbsp garlic powder

1 tbsp onion powder

1 tbsp parsley flakes

1 tbsp basil

1 tbsp rosemary

1 tbsp thyme

1 tbsp hot pepper seeds

3-4 lb pork roast

Cut slits in roast making little pockets all around meat; fill with spices.

Place in roaster and add water until half way up roast.

Cover with lid and bake slowly, 250 degrees for about 6 hours.

Remove from oven and cool to room temperature or till you can touch it.

Shred meat from bones.

Strain juice and add juice to meat to moisten.

Thank you...A lot has changed since 1997...Mainly the net and all of this info. I got most of my info in the mid 90's from Brew Your Own mag (have the 1st issue) and Charlie P's book ( I don't know how many times I read that book cover to cover on the 11-7 shift years ago) but now it's all on sites like this. But one thing that hasn't changed...is the boil and the brew..:)

One thing I noticed on here is everyone paying such fine attention to all the details.... That's great but I always made sure I sanitized and then boiled and brewed and let mother nature do the rest. Common sense is all you need guys. Hell, I saw one guy wanting to put freaking cheese in his beer?!! WTF is that all about? I brewed a ton of beer years ago as well as mead...my buddies loved that stuff more then the beer and in fact never heard of it till I gave then a taste...:)) . I never had a bad batch of anything. Not bragging, just a fact. I liked some more then others but that's to be expected. I grew up helping my dad clean 50 gallon Jim Beam barrels and crushed and fermented grapes. Common sense and cleanliness and you will be fine.

PS...As I type this I am about 1/2 toasted but what the hell, it's been a long 13 years..:tank:

Just put the roast in the crock pot for tonight's football game. Go Giants!

Welcome back. I also took a 15 year hiatus from brewing. Work and kids took up all free time. So much more info out there. Im going to try that recipe. cheers.

[...]I also used a bottle to slow cook a 4 lb. pork roast (Porkette sandwiches)[...]

I honestly was hoping you'd 'splain how you got a four pound pork roast into a bottle.

Clearly, I'm at least half toasted :drunk:
Then again, I started six hours ago...

Cheers ;)

Thank you TAP. Go Giants!

S1400001.jpg

S1400002.jpg

Jeez, bro. Why the heck am I at work? I need to be at your house!! What's in the glass? Your Hazelnut Brown ready?

Nah, that's Pyramid Snow Cap. I am waiting on my pipeline. Don't want to drink it all up and have that terrible feeling of being out of homebrews! The Hazelnut needs at least another week. I could probably open one now but I want to wait a bit longer. Come over tomorrow for some lunch if you want.

welcome back.that recipe sounds tasty. might have to do it and throw it in the smoker. sounds like a tasty sammidge :D

How did it taste Funk? Pretty freakin good, huh? I made it for my poker gang and they flipped over it. I see your a Giants fan. Steelers myself but a local guy here was the Giants QB in the Super Bowl 20 years ago, Jeff Hostetler. He was a bit younger then me but I went to school and knew his older brothers. But that recipe is perfect for game time. Glad you liked it.

How did it taste Funk? Pretty freakin good, huh? I made it for my poker gang and they flipped over it. I see your a Giants fan. Steelers myself but a local guy here was the Giants QB in the Super Bowl 20 years ago, Jeff Hostetler. He was a bit younger then me but I went to school and knew his older brothers. But that recipe is perfect for game time. Glad you liked it.

Yep, pretty freakin good! It was a great choice for the game last night.

Well I'm not a Giants fan, but as a Packers fan I would rather see them in the playoffs than the evil Cowboys. You probably hate the Pack because of last year, but it is nice to see rival fans bonded together by the power of homebrews and pulled pork sandwiches haha. Thanks again for the recipe man!

Steelers gave that away last year. They lost it more then the Pack beat them. Oh well. Water under the bridge. Glad you enjoyed the recipe. After seeing your pics, I had to get one in the oven for myself so I had some pork butt in the freezer and I thawed out last night and it's in the oven now...I got a killer Jambalaya recipe too...:)

Back