Volume is off :/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyg91

Reaction score
OK, so I’m new to all grain brewing. This is my fourth brew recently after taking a several year hiatus from brewing. The last three batches of brood have all come out to different volumes. The first batch I brewed field about 39 12 ounce bottles. The second batch filled almost 50 12 ounce bottles. And this last one filled about 36 12 ounce bottles. My question is, how can I make sure that I receive 50 bottles of beer on each brew? I must be calculating something incorrectly. Any help is welcome! Thanks in advance!

My question is, how can I make sure that I receive 50 bottles of beer on each brew?

Are you using a recipe generator or other brew day software to guide what goes in the kettles? I use Beersmith3 and can't imagine achieving any consistent results without it or using something similar...

Cheers!

Thank you, I appreciate you avoiding my typos, lol currently I’m not using anything like BeerSmith three but I will start using it. I brew about 5 gallons at a time but I am afraid that what I’m putting into my firm. Enter at the end of my boil isn’t actually 5 gallons. It doesn’t help that my carboy doesn’t have markings either.

It doesn't take any fancy markings to put graduations on a carboy. I used masking tape, a Sharpie, and a one quart measuring cup roughly 19 years ago to mark up my carboys. They still have those marking to this day :)

1677809618460.jpeg

For the rest, understanding volumes and losses for each step of the brewing process and then using that information with a brew day program will go a long way towards consistent results...

Cheers!

If your volume is low AND your gravity is higher than expected you can dilute it with some boiled water before bottling.

Would be best though to find out where your math is going sideways.

Back