New acquisitions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dasBuhbuh

Reaction score
So my dad found 3 water cooler bottles out in the shed and i took a look at them when i went home. They are #1 plastic so i guess they should be usable for carboys (2x 5gal, 1x 3 gal so only smaller batches, maybe testing new recipes...). Theyre a little dirty but nothing a good hot scrubbing wont fix. Think theyre worth holding on to?

Be careful not to scratch the plastic while you scrub. Scratches make for good places for bacteria to call home.

Those would be horrible for brewing! You need to ship them to me immediately so that I may dispose of them ecologically.

:D;)

use oxyclean or pbw, dont scrub.

scrubbing is just silly. and you could scratch the inside.

I thought you were not supposed to use #1 plastic for brewing as it's not food grade.

-kap

1 and 2 are fine.....Use lots of oxyclean and hot water and let it soak a couple dayes, then rinse thoroughly, and if they are still groaty, then soak again....that way you will let the bubbles do the work for you and won't rish scratching the plastic...

wow.......groaty.

haven't heard that word since probably high school..

Yeah...I was kinda surprised it came out of my fingers as well....I didn't think the braincells that stored that word waayyyy back then were still capable of firing....considering certain "products" that were burned back then as well.....:D

ok, cool. now to get me some oxy-clean type substance....hmm....stupid college aparentments lacking cleaning products...

Back