Never calculated effeciency.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I have done about 5-6 AG batches now and have not once calculated the effeciency. I have come within 5-6 points of OG, so I really was not concerned with it. Now that I am doing more and more batches (thanks to kegging), i'd like to know what my efficiency % is. I use BeerSmith for my brews. Is there a calculator on there? I have never looked, and I am stuck at work till 8. Thanks!

I have done about 5-6 AG batches now and have not once calculated the effeciency. I have come within 5-6 points of OG, so I really was not concerned with it. Now that I am doing more and more batches (thanks to kegging), i'd like to know what my efficiency % is. I use BeerSmith for my brews. Is there a calculator on there? I have never looked, and I am stuck at work till 8. Thanks!

Yes, you can go into the efficiency area, just by double clicking on it on the recipe. Once in there, you can put your OG preboil, and post boil, and it will give you the efficiency.

Just a sidenote that you'll have a preboil efficiency and post boil "brewhouse" efficiency. Your brewhouse efficiency will almost always be a few points less due to wort loss from the hops, etc. It's very important to nail your efficiency for when you create your recipes as your efficiency will factor into your final product. Check out the Beersmith website for help...

I've been brewing for 14 years and have never calculated efficiency. Although Beer Tools Pro (which I just bought a few months ago) tells me I that I hover in the 85% range. The moral is... I still have never calculated it myself. Ahhh, just wing-it! But, wing it smart by being emperical in all the areas except where mathematics is required.

A fistful of hops here... A fistful of hops there... Ah! That smells about right. Fuggles. Fuggles. Not sweet enough. Goldings. That it'll fix it.

I hit 80.7% according to BeerSmith. That was my Amarillo SMaSH. I have been reading alot of brewing books lately and it has made me want to compare my methods and see if I have a consistant effeciancy. I have a few beers I'd like to duplicate and this will definitely help.

Yes, you can go into the efficiency area, just by double clicking on it on the recipe. Once in there, you can put your OG preboil, and post boil, and it will give you the efficiency.

d'oh!

All this time I've just been fiddling with the "Brewhouse Efficiency" number until the "expected OG" agreed with what I got. Never realized that was a button!

:rockin:

Latest posts

Back