Nelson Sauvin IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guazzabuglio

Reaction score
My buddy and I were looking to brew an IPA that would highlight the flavor and aroma of Nelson Sauvin hops along with other like hops. Thing is we typically brew maltier type beers (not to say we don't drink hoppy beers, we love em, but usually leave them to the pros). Needless to say we could use a little direction.

I'm fairly confident that the grain bill is alright, but I was more concerned with the hop additions. Can anyone lend a little insight?

Recipe Type: American IPA
Yeast: WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.069
Estimated IBU: 68.1
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60

10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1 lbs Munich Malt
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose)

1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop

1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Mash @ 154° F for 90 min

My buddy and I were looking to brew an IPA that would highlight the flavor and aroma of Nelson Sauvin hops along with other like hops. Thing is we typically brew maltier type beers (not to say we don't drink hoppy beers, we love em, but usually leave them to the pros). Needless to say we could use a little direction.

I'm fairly confident that the grain bill is alright, but I was more concerned with the hop additions. Can anyone lend a little insight?

Recipe Type: American IPA
Yeast: WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.069
Estimated IBU: 68.1
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60

10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1 lbs Munich Malt
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose)

1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop

1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Mash @ 154° F for 90 min

A buddy and I brewed a Row2/Hill 56 clone but overshot our gravity by...a lot. We ended up making an IPA out of it and added Nelson to the Simcoe additions. It was by far, the best homebrewed IPA I have had. Simcoe and Nelson play really well off of each other. I think you'll really enjoy it. I've only used Amarillo once but I think it might be over powered by the Simcoe and Nelson.

As far as your hops, I would definitely add a clean bittering hop at 60 minutes like Magnum and up your dry hop amounts. Good luck!

One suggestion - Alpine Brewing Co proved that Nelson and rye get along very, very well. If it were me I would replace the Munich with rye malt, and maybe a few lbs of the base malt as well.

Edit: Unless you want to highlight the sweetness of Nelson (rather than the spiciness). I've found that Canadian honey malt works really well for highlighting sweet-oriented flavors (like fruity hop or yeast flavors) in dry recipes.

Edit 2: If you do add some honey malt, it should be a very small amount. Like 8 oz per 5 gal. A little goes a long way.

One suggestion - Alpine Brewing Co proved that Nelson and rye get along very, very well. If it were me I would replace the Munich with rye malt, and maybe a few lbs of the base malt.

I actually really like that idea about the rye. I've never had a NS hopped rye IPA, but I can definitely see how they would go well together.

I actually really like that idea about the rye. I've never had a NS hopped rye IPA, but I can definitely see how they would go well together.

Westbrook One Claw is a Nelson Rye pale... Brewed in Charleston SC...

If you were needing a reference point. It is a very good beer..

...Simcoe and Nelson play really well off of each other. I think you'll really enjoy it. I've only used Amarillo once but I think it might be over powered by the Simcoe and Nelson.

As far as your hops, I would definitely add a clean bittering hop at 60 minutes like Magnum and up your dry hop amounts. Good luck!

Glad to hear that NS and Simcoe make such a great pair. I was hoping to coax a bit of dank, piney, resinous flavor out of the Simcoe to compliment the fruitiness of the NS.

I think you're definitely right about the 60 minute Magnum addition. I was flirting with that idea, but was looking for someone else to say it I guess. I'm just not 100% sure how much to add.

As far as upping the dry hop amounts, what do you think the hopping schedule should look like?

What do you all suggest to do with the Amarillo? Drop it completely? Replace it with another hop? Only dry hop with it?

Glad to hear that NS and Simcoe make such a great pair. I was hoping to coax a bit of dank, piney, resinous flavor out of the Simcoe to compliment the fruitiness of the NS.

I think you're definitely right about the 60 minute Magnum addition. I was flirting with that idea, but was looking for someone else to say it I guess. I'm just not 100% sure how much to add.

As far as upping the dry hop amounts, what do you think the hopping schedule should look like?

I think keeping it a 1oz during the boil is fine as both hops are very strong. I would up the dry hops to 2-3oz of each to really get the flavor and aroma out of the hops. I rarely dry hop with less then 2oz. but you can certainly keep it at 1oz each

I would drop Amarillo. I don't think it's going to add much to what you're going for, actually I think it will interfere with the Nelson flavor. I would replace with more Nelson in the whirlpool and the dry hop, if Nelson is the flavor you're after. Simcoe will definitely up the resin punch, Nelson doesn't have a lot of that in late kettle additions.

Nelson has a very unique fruit character that's hard to pin down. Sort of grape-melon and a bit of tropical. Amarillo is very citrus. I haven't used them together but I don't feel like they would get along that well.

I would drop Amarillo. I don't think it's going to add much to what you're going for, actually I think it will interfere with the Nelson flavor. I would replace with more Nelson in the whirlpool and the dry hop, if Nelson is the flavor you're after. Simcoe will definitely up the resin punch, Nelson doesn't have a lot of that in late kettle additions.

Nelson has a very unique fruit character that's hard to pin down. Sort of grape-melon and a bit of tropical. Amarillo is very citrus. I haven't used them together but I don't feel like they would get along that well.

Addendum: But the only way to know is to try it and report back! I'm not discouraging you from trying it out. My methodology is to ignore all existing recipes and just try what I think will be good. Sometimes it is, sometimes it ain't. Every try is a great lesson, though.

best way to test hop combinations is to add a small amount to a pan of some wort, not much, heat it up to about 180 ish , stir and smell

oh and the Amarillo will add sweetness to the tung so I would defiantly use it if only to take away some harsh hop bitterness

As of now I'm considering using Amarillo in just the dry hop. Would you recommend it in the boil too, or would it be completely lost?

Latest posts

Back