NEIPA with US-05?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering brewing an NEIPA, but I'd be using US-05.

Can anyone give an opinion on how this would affect the NEIPA beer?

I intend to brew the rest of the beer using fairly standard NEIPA ingredients, etc. However, the one factor I wouldn't normally consider, but must in this case, is use a clean American Ale yeast.

Expectations?

Since the yeast itself will impart minimal esters, I would expect a less fruity NEIPA.

Brew on!

It would be ok. My current favorite yeast for NEIPA is Wyeast 1318.

If you are using S05 because you don't want to buy a different strain, it would work ok. Of course, keep in mind that I pretty much hate S05, so for me to say it would ok is saying something!

I've brewed a NEIPA using Wyeast 1056, which is the same strain. As long as you don't use any fining agents, you will get a nice murky beer that will take months to clear.

It would be ok. My current favorite yeast for NEIPA is Wyeast 1318.

If you are using S05 because you don't want to buy a different strain, it would work ok. Of course, keep in mind that I pretty much hate S05, so for me to say it would ok is saying something!

I bought 1318 this weekend for a NEIPA.

1318 would have been my choice, but unfortunately US-05 is the house yeast and it may be the yeast I have to use. I am just curious about what to expect as far as flavor and clarity. If US-05 isn't going to work well, I'd like to change my recipe to something else. Just wanted to brew something a bit different from the usual.

It sounds like US-05 may be ok, so I'll do up a recipe and submit to the gang and see what they think. It's just one of 3-4 recipes that will be submitted for consideration. I think the other recipes are English Bitter and Rye Pale Ale.

I have used US-05 run at 66°F on a Focal Banger clone and it is very good - still have a keg on tap and had a pour earlier this evening.

It lacks the up-front stone fruit character to be sure compared to the same recipe using Imperial Barbarian (aka Conan) but I was going for that exact comparison with this batch.

I think I prefer the US-05, actually, and may reserve my Conan stash for the Heady clones...

Cheers!

One of the keys to NEIPA's (and lasting haze) is the biotransformation which takes place when dry hops are introduced during active fermentation.

I would guess that different strains of yeast interact with/transform hop oils and compounds differently, how exactly US-05 will do that, I can't say but let us know if you go through with it.

It works better than you would think... just like mentioned above, don't use any fining agents and you'll be pleasently surprised.

Made one with wlp001 recently and had people over and had lots and lots of compliments

Short of using a hefe yeast or something equally odd in an IPA, they all are going to give you want you want. My preference leans toward to 1318, then 1272 and Conan.

Quick question on S-05, it's supposed to be the same strain as 1056 and 001 right? How does everyone's rationalize that with it's persistent krausen that hangs around so long? The other strains don't do that...

I'm considering brewing an NEIPA, but I'd be using US-05.

Can anyone give an opinion on how this would affect the NEIPA beer?

I intend to brew the rest of the beer using fairly standard NEIPA ingredients, etc. However, the one factor I wouldn't normally consider, but must in this case, is use a clean American Ale yeast.

Expectations?

I've got one on tap right now. Normally I gelatin / cold crash beers, but this one got no gelatin. Was VERY hazy for a week or two after carbing, but now it's medium haze. I liked it both ways. I think the hazier it is, the better the aroma right after you pour it. But maybe that's just me expecting that.

timipa.jpg

Short of using a hefe yeast or something equally odd in an IPA, they all are going to give you want you want. My preference leans toward to 1318, then 1272 and Conan.

Quick question on S-05, it's supposed to be the same strain as 1056 and 001 right? How does everyone's rationalize that with it's persistent krausen that hangs around so long? The other strains don't do that...

I believe they are supposed to be the same strain, but I also think that over time, the different manufacturers' strains have probably changed subtly. But, close enough for my brewing purposes.

I really appreciate the comments, guys. I feel confident that I can put together a recipe and process that will emulate a NEIPA fairly close. We don't get much NEIPA style beers in Northern Michigan yet, so I hope it's different enough to stand out from the other beers on tap and gets people to give it a try and see how much different the tastes compared to what it looks like.

Hopefully I have time today to finish my research into the particulars of the style and put a recipe together. I'd like it to be a definite NEIPA, but not exactly a clone of any of them that are out there.

Time to hit the books again! :mug:

Well, 1318 is a possibility, but the brewer is hesitant to try an untested recipe, so I guess I'll have to make this at home.

I guess I'll have to have to go with my award-winning Foreign Extra Stout for submitting to the collaborative brew.

Thanks, guys. Maybe I'll do a split batch half with 1318 and half with US-05 and see how they compare against each other.

It sounds like US-05 may be ok, so I'll do up a recipe and submit to the gang and see what they think. It's just one of 3-4 recipes that will be submitted for consideration. I think the other recipes are English Bitter and Rye Pale Ale.

IMO, a NEIPA with US-05 will probably work better than an English Bitter with US-05, if it's the house yeast for everything.

Wow, London Ale III is a yeast producing machine. My blow-off was never so active with Conan. This fermenter is pushing yeast through the neck, down the tube, and into the water jug.

The blow-off tubing was too long, it had a loop or two before entering the water jug. The gooey yeast was clogging the tube and pushing yeast everywhere.

Wow, London Ale III is a yeast producing machine. My blow-off was never so active with Conan. This fermenter is pushing yeast through the neck, down the tube, and into the water jug.

The blow-off tubing was too long, it had a loop or two before entering the water jug. The gooey yeast was clogging the tube and pushing yeast everywhere.

my first time using 1318 i ended up with my blow off GROWLER over flowing onto the fermenter floor. Luckily i caught it before it got too out of hand but the yeast is a MONSTER!!

Interested to see how this split batch comes out. I am not a huge fan of 05, but loving 1318 the last few times i have tried it. Though ia sure 05 would be good if treated properly. Cheers! :mug:

my first time using 1318 i ended up with my blow off GROWLER over flowing onto the fermenter floor. Luckily i caught it before it got too out of hand but the yeast is a MONSTER!!

Interested to see how this split batch comes out. I am not a huge fan of 05, but loving 1318 the last few times i have tried it. Though ia sure 05 would be good if treated properly. Cheers! :mug:

Thanks for the warning! I'm going to get some 1318 soon and try it and you probably saved me from a mess. I haven't used a blowoff tube in a while, because I haven't done many big beers with strong yeast (And i keep the temps down during active fermentation, which helps.)

Aw, yeah! Just placed an order for some Aus/NZ experimental hops! Never brewed using experimental hops before. One of them was named ambiguously, "Stonefruit", so I'm not sure what to expect from that one! ;)

Some will tell you that the yeast is an important factor in doing the style right, biotransformation, texture and such. It may very well be true. That being said, it's not like 05 won't produce a delicious beer and flaked adjuncts can help you get the texture right. Of course, fermenting it low will produce Conan-like peach esters, too. Go for it. It won't be bad. It will probably be good.

I'm excited. I have a batch of Oberon to brew soon. The yeast is ready, I just need to catch up on a few things around here. Right after that I'll get the NEIPA going.

Last night was my last night to work on the kitchen walls before handing the painting off to the wife/kid(s). And instead I had to take in the straps on my daughter's prom dress. I was amazed at how long it took to stitch it up by hand. I thought I'd save time by not hauling out the machine, but by the time it got done it was bedtime. Tonight I'll get the mud touched up and maybe get to brew this weekend.

So do I pitch a LOT of yeast, or just the usual amount?

Back