NEIPA- very harsh- does not want to carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Noto

Reaction score
I had a rough go with this one. It was a 10 gallon NEIPA recipe dry hopped with Vic secret and citra. Had a stuck sparge with no rice hulls. Then, one of my pumps decided to go during my cooling phase and I had to do a massive ice bath that took almost an hour before I pitched. I made a good starter so my ferment and dry hop seemed like a success. But after I force carbed, I tasted it and it’s REALLY bitter, and hurts the back of the throat a little. Also, I’ve had my psi set to 25 for days and there is still very little carbonation. I didn’t take many reading on account of such a rough brew day ( I won’t be making that mistake again though). I assume the culprit is the time it took to bring it down to pitching temp. Anybody else run into this problem before?

Time could be a factor, it may have driven off hop smell and left time for hop bitterness to set in. Could be what you are tasting?

Can't think that would relate to carbonation though. That may just need more time. I always spend 10 or so minutes rocking my beer around to help get CO2 actually into it (if you lay it on its side you can hear the bubbles going in). Will do that at least once, sometimes 2-3 times before it's really "carbonated" how I like. I leave it around 12 psi after that.

I mean it’s smells great, but this harshness and yeast bite is rough. Usually I do rock my kegs, but they got overcarbonated the last time I did that, so I’m a little reluctant. It’s still drinkable, it probably just needs some time to mellow a little. I just want to make sure it doesn’t happen again next time.

Harshness in the back of your throat has nothing to do with traditional bitterness or IBUs or really anything related to hops you added on the hotside.

What you’re experiencing is polyphenol burn from so many in suspension.

You probably used a bunch of oats and wheat, and really highly polyphenol hops, Vic Secret especially although Citra is rather high too for a US grown variety.

Was your water profile really high in CaCl? This can make it even worse.

Did you cold crash before kegging it? Any cold conditioning? What was your process for dry hopping?

Your keg might be to full. If there’s no headspace it won’t carb well at all... or you have a slow leak somewhere.

I used spring water, but no additives. I fermenter for 6 days, then dry hopped for about 5 days, then cold crashed for 2 days. I’m feeling like I should have fermented longer and probably cold crashed longer too.

My c02 was almost empty I discovered so I just changed it out for a new one, hopefully that handles the carbonation issue

What yeast did you use? Some love to drop out quickly, some love to hang around foreeeeeeever.
I did a starter, this yeast was a BEAST. It went forever.

Attachments

• FF552603-D8B8-47FD-B0B7-28832A367CC5.jpeg
    FF552603-D8B8-47FD-B0B7-28832A367CC5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Harshness in the back of your throat has nothing to do with traditional bitterness or IBUs or really anything related to hops you added on the hotside.

What you’re experiencing is polyphenol burn from so many in suspension.

You probably used a bunch of oats and wheat, and really highly polyphenol hops, Vic Secret especially although Citra is rather high too for a US grown variety.

Was your water profile really high in CaCl? This can make it even worse.

Did you cold crash before kegging it? Any cold conditioning? What was your process for dry hopping?

Your keg might be to full. If there’s no headspace it won’t carb well at all... or you have a slow leak somewhere.
My dry hop bill was pretty big. 8oz of Vic secret and 6oz. of citra in Muslim bags. Which I split between 2 fermenting buckets. What do you mean by cold conditioning?

Imperial says the A24 is medium flocculating, so it could be a bit - I wouldn't be too surprised to see it take 2 weeks on the counter and at least a week in the frig. It's about what I see for my "medium" yeasts. YMMV (your mileage may vary) as the say.

You could consider cutting it - I'm not totally joking - pour a half glass of this particular homebrew and combine it with something flavorless i.e. Miller Lite. Try it, see if you can make it taste decent. If not, it's probably time to plan brewing another.

Just saw @couchsending 's post too and can agree with it all.

The harshness really seems to be mellowing out a week after I kegged it. So I assume it will be borderline drinkable in about a week. I gave the kegs a few shakes and let them sit and they are perfectly carbonated now. Appreciate all the insight!

Latest posts

Back