NEIPA - Stone Fruit / Guava

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All,

I've tried several NEIPAs that I just can't support, mainly because of the massive citrus flavor (mild ones aren't so bad). I had one that was closer to Stone Fruit / Guava, but don't remember what the name was (nor can I seem to find it again). That leaves me to finding a recipe to brew. Anyone out there actually brew a tropical (Stone Fruit/Guava, no citrus) NEIPA and willing to share the recipe?

Additionally, if anyone know about any clone recipes that are out there...I'd be done to try those as well.

Thanks!

Basically just look for hops with tropical/stone fruit profiles. I have brewed this one a few times, changing the New Zealand hop each time, but this original recipe came out so good, it took 1st place in a comp and second place Best in Show...so it's decent, I call it The Down Under Express from Idaho:

3 gallon batch, 1.069 OG Beersmith said 180 IBUs but that's not really true.
69.1% Rahr Two Row
14.7% Flaked Oats
14.7% Munich I
1.5% Acidulated Malt
WLP066 London Fog yeast

.50 oz Saaz at 60 (any low alpha hop works here)
2.00 oz Ella 16.9% in whirlpool/hopstand post boil for 30 (add at 190F)
2.00 oz Galaxy 18.1% whirlpool for 30 at 190F
1.00 oz Idaho 7 13.1% whirlpool for 30 at 190F

2.00 oz Ella at High Krausen
3 days later add 2.00 oz Galaxy for 5 days and 1 oz Idaho 7 for 5 days. (Can also split all the hops, add 1/2 at high krausen and 1/2 3 days later).

Cold crash for 24 hrs and then keg. Needs a few weeks in keg for hop burn to subside.

Mash was 153 for 45. Mash Out at 168 for 15.
Distilled water adjusted to: Ca 112, Mg 1, Na 10, SO4 79, Cl 159

100% agree with @jdauria check out some New Zealand/Australian hops if you're looking for stone fruit. Galaxy is a good one that should be easy to find, and can totally stand on it's own. Others to check out would be Rakau, Enigma, BRU-1, El dorado, and Nelson Sauvin.

My grainbill for my NEIPA's is 55% marris otter, 24% Wheat malt, 11% flaked oats, and 10% chit malt fermented with S-04.

Latest posts

Back