NEIPA: Cold Crashing and Fining Agents. Yes or No?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSMikeD

Reaction score
There is so much information, much of it buried in larger threads I found it difficult to do clear search on the subject so I my thanks in advance to those who will participate here.

I’m reading a lot about hop burn and undesired flavors that are a result of long exposure to the vegetable matter and polyphenols in hops. In addition to removal of hops (I’ve read 3, 5 and 7 days) by either mesh bags (or other porous container) or racking, that cold crashing before racking and/or using fining agents will help reduce hop burn and grassy/garlic notes.

However, haze is a huge part of the visual appeal of NEIPAs and this seems counter intuitive to me as cold crashing and fining agents are what we use to remove haze and produce crystal clear beers. Since I’m I the middle of my first NEIPA brew I lack personal experience.

So, my question to experienced NEiPA brewers, Yeah or may on cold crashing and/or fining agents for a NEIPA? Does pressure fermentation, fermentation temperature or aging time affect your decision?

Thanks again.

Ive only used Whirlfloc in the boil to help get nice clean wort into the fermenter but have never used other agents to fine while in the fermenter. I say a resounding yes for a solid soft crash to drop everything out as possible (I hit 50 degrees for 36hrs) and then warm back up to 58-60ish for DH, then do a cold crash (38 degrees) prior to kegging. Wort is nice and clean going into the fermenter and end up plenty hazy in the end. Pics are from a NEIPA with spelt (no oats) of the wort going into the fermenter and the final product. Depending on the hops used in DH, it may need about a week to fully condition (which fits well with my carbing schedule anyways) to get the whole hop profile but most all are very drinkable at kegging with very little (if any at all) hop burn or grassy notes. Im happy with the process thus far.

IMG_9475.jpg
IMG_9476.jpg
IMG_9662.jpg

Back