Needs to be ready in 3 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BHive

Reaction score
I've had my batch in the keg for about a week now set at 12 psi. Problem is its been sitting at room temp. I truely set it and forgot and didn't think about the difference the warmer temp would make.

Now it's in the fridge but I need it ready by sunday (superbowl) and I'm not sure where to set it now so that it's fully carbed by then. I don't want to over do it but I'm assuming that 12 psi a room temp didn't get it too close to where it needs to be.

I don't have alot of time to tend to it so I'm looking for a good number to leave it at for 3 days. It's a Belgian blonde.

Any suggestions?

I don't keg myself, but have read tons of threads about upping the pressure for a short period to get ahead and then turning the pressure down. He already has built up a bit of pressure in there albeit at a warmer temp.
My concern would be that setting it higher and just leaving it would lead to over carbonation and another headache. Wouldn't it be better to let it get to serving temp while hooked up and then pull it out and rock it a bit to get more CO2 in solution in a more controlled manner?

I would crash it and see where the carbonation currently is before setting it at 30psi overnight might be that 12 hours is fine or some variation. If you over carbonate by accident you'll be hard pressed to get it degassed by the game

I think three days at serving pressure in the fridge will get "good enough" carbonation. You already should be relatively close.

I find I can usually set serving pressure at 10 psi or so and it will be fine in 3-4 days.

forcecarbillustrated.gif

I've overcarbed by going to 30psi for any time.

My recommendation is 1) get the keg to 35F, 2) put it at 12psi and shake the living crap out of it. Do that for a while (minutes -> hour) and it'll carbonate really quickly, and it won't be overcarbed.

One reason beer gets better over time is due to stuff precipitating out of it (mainly yeast, which tastes like ass IMO). So you'll have to deal with that regardless.

Back