Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use 6.5 gal big mouth bubblers. Love how easy to clean and when dry easy to put up out of the way. Two biggest things was buying a 25' immersion chiller and the fermwrap with inkbird control or is that three?

fair enough, if someone is looking for lots of fermentation space, SS might not be the answer. I just eventually decided I was fine with 2 primary fermenters with a couple of 5 gal carboys that are only used for secondary of wine. My reasoning was longevity of equipment over volume of equipment, not to mention it’s all oxygen impervious and can take a good, hard cleaning without worries of scratches.

I have had fermentations going for several months (on the yeast). No evidence of oxygenation or autolysis... I am also using all of my fermenters that I have ever bought. I would say that the newest of them is about 6 years old. I have no intention of retiring any of them soon. I take care cleaning and haven't had any worries about scratches...

Like I said. My 25 year old bucket is still rockin good [emoji481]. Love your equipment well and it will love you back

Do tell...what u got going for that long??? Seriously high OG?

Once or twice but mostly just plain old procrastination. "I'll bottle or keg (I do both) this beer tomorrow... next thing I know it has been as many as 9 months. Got into fixing a house up for sale and kept putting off the bottling.....

My usual plan is to package just after 2 weeks, most often it is at 3-4 weeks and a couple per year have been left for about 2-3 months.

Key word is "invest". I don't regret any of my big ticket cold side purchases. It hurt at the time, but now I look at what commercial beer kegs are going for at BevMo these days....these ss brewtech fermenters have long since paid for themselves, and they'll last forever.

Either way OP, whatever you choose to upgrade, don’t worry too much. It takes the fun out.

Did you bottle? Do you hate it yet?

I know starting off, usually the cheapest option is the best way to go, as you don't want to dump money into something when you have no idea what you're doing.

BUT

I'm the type of person where if I decide to do something, I like being great at that thing, therefore after 1 batch of homebrew I'm now looking to upgrade my equipment. Was using 6.5 gallon glass carboy, but not a fan because of how small the opening is on top it makes life harder than it needs to be. I love the idea of a conical, but probably looking for a plastic for now rather than stainless. Also, used a sink ice bath to cool wort, but that took an hour and im looking for a better solution for cooling the wort faster, as I've heard that can have an effect on the quality of the beer.

So moral of the story, I'm looking for advice on plastic conical fermenters that have a wide opening on top, potentially a spout. I've seen the BrewDemon that looks great but has mixed reviews, but same goes for the Fermentasaurus and the Catalyst. I also like being able to see the beer so having a clear fermenter is preferred. As for my cooling problem, I'm assuming just go with an immersion chiller?

Lastly, any other equipment that I probably don't know about yet, but might make life easier or make my beer turn out better? or more clear etc

Thanks ahead of time!
I was using 5 and 6.5 gallon glass carboys then this last spring got a 7 gallon fermonster . i like it a lot. its not glass , so its both safer and a lot lighter. and with the spigot in it I dont have to use the racking cane , less to clean. The one upgrade I am so glad I did . If you get one, get a stick on thermometer too.

Latest posts

Back