Need suggestions - Hop Blunder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t3e871

Reaction score
I brewed a IPA yesterday for first time and the recipe called for 1.5 oz Magnum at 60 min, 2oz Cascade at 10 min, 2 oz Cascade at 1 min. I ad-libbed and decided to first hop the wort with 1 oz of Hallartaug that I had laying around. I then added the 1.5 oz magnum at 60min, but I forgot to add the cascade...I was distracted and had the yeast pitched and was cleaning up when I realized my mistake.

I'm now thinking about dry hopping with the 4 oz of cascade in the secondary. I love hoppy IPAs and dont want to ruin my batch...what other options do I have? What about boiling 2oz of the Cascade and making a "tea" in a small amount of water and adding to the beer?

Thanks

An option:

Boil 0.75 lbs of extract in 4 pints of water. After break has past, add 1 ozs cascade. Boil for 9 minutes, add 1 ozs Cascade, boil for 1 minute, then cool. Add liquid to primary.

I'd save a couple of ounces for dry hopping.

Yeah, definitely need some extract when boiling the hops for utilization. If you keg, it'd be fairly easy to just dryhop with a few oz of cascade, and if you still aren't satisfied, boil a couple oz up as Calder described. If you don't keg, now's a great time to start.

Agreed! you need flavor hops and finishing hops. Hot steep for 20 - 30 min ( 190 or below to preserve aromatics) two good handfulls of cascade and toss em in.

Yeah, definitely need some extract when boiling the hops for utilization. If you keg, it'd be fairly easy to just dryhop with a few oz of cascade, and if you still aren't satisfied, boil a couple oz up as Calder described. If you don't keg, now's a great time to start.

I'm not saying it's not so, but why do you need extract to boil hops?

I'ts done...keg is almost empty. To follow up - I just dry hopped all 4 oz of cascade pellets in a hop sock. Aged, kegged and carbonated. The beer is good. Not a hop-bomb, but very IPA-like. Its very cloudy and Im not sure why that is....

I'ts done...keg is almost empty. To follow up - I just dry hopped all 4 oz of cascade pellets in a hop sock. Aged, kegged and carbonated. The beer is good. Not a hop-bomb, but very IPA-like. Its very cloudy and Im not sure why that is....

Not uncommon when dry hopping (particularly with pellets). If you're concerned (don't be) a little gelatin with clear it up (or a cold conditioning will help) Or you can relax, don't worry... you know the drill :) It won't affect the flavor negatively.

Latest posts

Back