Need some ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike COusineau

Reaction score
So I have brewed about 30 to 35 batches of beer and getting ready for summer brewing. For the summer this is what I usually brew but would like to venture off and brew something else that is a session beer.

1) Belgian Blonde Ale 6.2%
2) Blonde Ale 4.5%
3) Hoegarden Clone I think 5%
4) German Hefe 5.5%
5) Hazy Juicy NEIPA 6.5% (Not so much a session)

Currently in the Keg's are an Hazy Juicy NEIPA, Hoegarden, and the German hefe. All will be gone by the end of June, so need to start brewing next week.

My favorite summer brews include Saisons, wits, Saisons, Kolsch biers, Berliners and Saisons! (I also enjoy saisons in the Spring, Fall, and Winter)

Got to second the Saison. Plus if you use something like Wyeast 3711, you can ferment that thing at like 80F and it'll be ready to package in a week.

My favorite summer brews include Saisons, wits, Saisons, Kolsch biers, Berliners and Saisons! (I also enjoy saisons in the Spring, Fall, and Winter)
Are you willing to share a Saison recipe? I'm new to brewing and am looking to brew a summer friendly beer.

Thanks

Are you willing to share a Saison recipe? I'm new to brewing and am looking to brew a summer friendly beer.

Thanks
Saisons can be as simple or as complicated as you like. A basic one might be:
95% Pilsner malt
5% Raw or Malted Wheat
Maybe 5% table sugar or turbinado to really dry it out
OG 1.050
25-30 IBU of your favorite bittering hop at 60 minutes
5 IBU or so of a nice aroma/flavor hop you like at 5 min or flameout (an ounce?)
Ferment with Wyeast 3711 or Belle Saison (dry yeast) for a fool-proof fermentation. Don't be afraid to ferment hot (80 deg F) to drive some yeast flavors.

Some will recommend spices in Saisons - I normally don't add them, and I would suggest you avoid them until you understand your yeast (which should provide plenty of fruity esters and spicy phenols).

Lots of more specific recipes in the Ale Recipes forum.

Saisons can be as simple or as complicated as you like. A basic one might be:
95% Pilsner malt
5% Raw or Malted Wheat
Maybe 5% table sugar or turbinado to really dry it out
OG 1.050
25-30 IBU of your favorite bittering hop at 60 minutes
5 IBU or so of a nice aroma/flavor hop you like at 5 min or flameout (an ounce?)
Ferment with Wyeast 3711 or Belle Saison (dry yeast) for a fool-proof fermentation. Don't be afraid to ferment hot (80 deg F) to drive some yeast flavors.

Some will recommend spices in Saisons - I normally don't add them, and I would suggest you avoid them until you understand your yeast (which should provide plenty of fruity esters and spicy phenols).

Lots of more specific recipes in the Ale Recipes forum.
Thank you for sharing, would you mind sharing some typical hops used in Saisons? All I currently have is NEIPA friendly hops and some east golding used for a stout I made.

Edit: Just realized I have a pound of sorachi ace I got from Yakima valley for like $5. Would that work?
Regards,

Thank you for sharing, would you mind sharing some typical hops used in Saisons? All I currently have is NEIPA friendly hops and some east golding used for a stout I made.

Edit: Just realized I have a pound of sorachi ace I got from Yakima valley for like $5. Would that work?
Regards,
Any and all! Probably the most famous Saison, Saison Dupont, is flavored with EKG. Brooklyn Brewing makes a fabulous Saison called Sorachi Ace - guess what it's brewed with? Lots of brewers like American hops like Citra - I don't, but to each their own. Traditional Saison is more about the yeast, but more contemporary brews are popping up all the time with all the new hops we have now.

I view saisons different from other brews. Probably not many people would make an IPA with Saaz or a stout with Mosaic, but there aren't too many hops that won't work in a Saison.

Last edited:
Can you lager?
If not then are you a fan of cream ale? Or golden ale (British or American)?

Can you lager?
If not then are you a fan of cream ale? Or golden ale (British or American)?
Unfortunately I can't. I do like a golden ales. So maybe I can look up a British one to get something different in my keg

Thanks
If you're looking for an extract version, here is a quick saison that I've brewed a couple times and came out great.

Farmhouse Ales, Belgian Witbiers, German Hefeweizens, Blonde/Golden Ales, Low colour / Low ABV English Bitters, Gose and Berlier Weisse - with and without fruit additions - are some of the beer styles I usually brew in the summer. I would keep the ABV between 4 and 5.5% for any of these beers. Helps drinkability and you don't need to stop after 1 or 2 pints.

Here is my blonde ale recipe. 5 gallon batch estimated to be about 4.3% ABV. Mash @ 152° and ferment cool (64-65°) and you’ll be good.

Blonde Moment—
8 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 94.4 % 0.66 gal
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.6 % 0.04 gal
2.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 17.6 IBUs -
1.00 oz Hersbrucker [2.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 4 2.3 IBUs -
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 5

Back