Need some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew

Reaction score
i received a robust porter for christmas..........the porter is custom mix from the brew store and the ingrediant list has 1 oz of bittering hops (perle pellet hops)

The instructions call for me to add 3/4 oz of the bitter hops right after I add the Dry Malt Extract (this is called to be done early in the brewing process) ......then after I have boiled for 55 minutes it calls for me to add 1/4 oz of flavor hops........am i to assume that the bittering hops and the flavoring hops are the same thing.........if so why do they call the same hops bittering hops at one point and flavoring hops at a later point?

.......am i to assume that the bittering hops and the flavoring hops are the same thing.........if so why do they call the same hops bittering hops at one point and flavoring hops at a later point?

Yes. The hops added early contribute mainly to bittering and the late addition hops are for flavor & aroma. In this beer the same type of hop is being used for both purposes.

Yes, they're the same.

The name bittering hops and flavoring hops is more a name for the time that you add them to the boiling wort.

Any hops added with more than 45 minutes left in the boil are called bittering hops.

At about 15 minutes you call them aroma hops, and at 5 minutes you call them flavoring hops.

In your case, the recipe is calling for 3/4 oz of Perle bittering hops and 1/4 oz of Perle flavoring hops.

thanks for the quick reply ....that helps clarify things......now i feel better starting this brew

Back