Need some help with Kegerator/keg connection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskies81

Reaction score
We have been home brewing for years now and had purchased a 6cuft Kegerator beer bar by igloo (frb200c model).

The keg was sold separately and the one we purchased does not seem to connect. I have read about conversion kits but can't figure out which one we need.

Attached are pictures of the keg top and the keg coupler. Any guidance would be great here.

Attachments

• IMG_20180421_083752403_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180421_083752403_LL.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20180421_083738702.jpg
    IMG_20180421_083738702.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20180421_083729672.jpg
    IMG_20180421_083729672.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 137
That looks like a connection for a commercial (sanke?) keg. You have a ball or pin type soda keg. You need black (beer line) and gray connectors. Did the keg and conversion kit come with directions?

You don't really need a conversion kit unless you want to use commercial kegs too. I would just take the chance to replace the lines if they aren't new and put ball lock connections on them.

Thanks.

The Kegerator came with directions but the keg did not. The Kegerator directions skip over connecting the keg to the keg coupler.

Have not purchased a conversion kit yet, there seem to be so many kinds I wasn't sure what we needed .

Thanks.

The Kegerator came with directions but the keg did not. The Kegerator directions skip over connecting the keg to the keg coupler.

Have not purchased a conversion kit yet, there seem to be so many kinds I wasn't sure what we needed .
The first keg I bought as part of a kit with the fittings and hoses required. If you don't have a local hbs, some online sources are beverage elements and morebeer.com

Since your kegerator is set up for Sanke kegs, I would consider sourcing Sanke kegs for your home brew.

If you want to use corny kegs, you need to remove the Sanke coupler and install corny beer and gas fittings on your kegerator.

Couple different styles of corny fittings, pin lock or ball lock, be sure to source correctly.

Judging by the pressure relief on the lid, my best guess is you have a ball lock keg. Plus, I don't see any pins on the posts. Since you already own the keg, I'd recommend you just pick up a set of ball lock disconnects (Ball Lock Disconnect Set)

you could save the Sanke connector for commercial beer or if you do convert to Sanke kegs later.

A decently well stock Homebrew store should have what you need.

Last edited:
You don't need the whole kit, just the couplers. If you want to be able to switch back to Sanke kegs (like if someone brings one over, or if you want to pour commercial craft beer), just get adapters. Unbolt your present coupler and bolt in these adapters:
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/fflxbeerthread.htm

They have a beer nut thread on one side, and a female flare on the other. Use flare ball lock connectors, such as these:
http://www.brewinternational.com/quick-disconnect-ball-lock-liquid-mfl/

It's the cheapest solution I've found, and has the advantage of using less hardware.

Note also that at some point you are going to want to clean your beer line by pumping cleanser, then sanitizer through it. For that, you can get barbed beer nut adapters like these:
https://rapidswholesale.com/american-beverage-hose-tail-piece-1-2.html

Back