Need some guidance on an all-grain recipe..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royalxtc

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about a year now, mostly extract/partial-mash brews,

most have came out rather tasty. Just recently started dipping my hands

into all-grain brewing.

I have a decent amount of malts from my last batch (it was a mistake on

Northern Brewer's part..) that I'd like to use for one of my first all-grain

batches. Usually, what I do is end up looking up recipes online, and try to

mimic them through whatever website I purchase ingredients from. In this

case, I already have the ingredients (yeast and hops included), but I don't

know what to do from there. I'm not too great at concocting my own

recipes. Anyways, can someone help me out?

I currently have the ingredients as follows:
-5lb Briess Pale Ale malt
-4lb Rahr Two Row malt
-2lb Rahr Pale malt
-1lb Briess Caramel malt
-3oz Summit hops
-6oz Williamette hops
-2oz Citra hops
-2 pouches Wyeast American Ale 1056

If you anyone can guide me into creating a recipe of some sort so I can get

to work as soon as possible, it'd be much appreciated. Any style(s) will

suffice. I wouldn't mind any tips for the future too, cheers!

Just playing around? I'd make a simple pale ale. Use all the pale/2-row (they are pretty much the same thing), and depending on the lovibond of the Caramel malt, I'd probably use the whole pound of it too. Mash @ 152F for 60 minutes. Maybe a .5 oz of the summit at 60, 1 oz of the Williamette at 15, and an ounce of citra at flame out. Without knowing the AA% of the hops you have, that would just be a guestimate on the hop amounts. But hey, it's fun to just play it loose sometimes. :drunk:

Basically 11 lbs of base malt and 1 pound of crystal/caramel (what °L color?) for a total of 12 lbs grain.

Plenty of high alpha hops for both bittering and flavor/aroma, plus some willamettes to round out the profile.

Yeah, either a pale ale and keep some leftovers or use most of it up in a big IPA (7% ABV with hop aroma galore).

Edit:
I could see an IPA with all of the malt in the grainbill; mashed at 150-152F.
Half ounce of summit for a bittering charge, followed by a mix of summit, citra, and willamette for several late additions (15/10/5/FO) and some additional for dry hopping (~2-3 oz).

I currently have the ingredients as follows:
-11lb Pale malt
-1lb Briess Caramel malt
-3oz Summit hops
-6oz Williamette hops
-2oz Citra hops
-2 pouches Wyeast American Ale 1056

There, fixed your list for you. :)

What caramel malt?

That's a good pale ale pile. You do 5 or 10 gallon batches? That pile of malt in a 5 gallon batch is going to land you somewhere near 1060 if you get in the 70% efficiency range.

I like hop blends. How hoppy do you want it? The Summit are designed for bittering - so they're good for early additions. I would take 2 oz of citra and 2 oz of Willamette and split them into .5 oz additions at 30, 10, 5, and 0 minutes. That'll get you lots of flavor and some bitterness. Then use the Summit for bittering additions at 60 minutes. an ounce will get you about 30 IBU. That plus the 2oz Will and 2 Oz Citra take you to 50-ish IBU. Drop another ounce at 60 and you're into nice IPA range. You can dry hop with a mix of Will and Summit.

1056 will be great

Latest posts

Back