Need some electric help - kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cssmacs01

Reaction score
So I have a Hairer mini-fridge. I want to hook up a 120vac cooling fan to the back side of the thermostat switch so when the compressor turns on so does the fan. Here is the dilemma I'm having. I have the Radio Shack fan and it has two (2) black wires on it.

Scenario 1: Hook a wire to Black port and Green port - the fan stays running with the thermostat on and off, just continuous

Scenario 2: Hook a wire to Black port and White port - fan turns on when the thermostat is switched off, and when you switch the thermostat on the fan turns off.

I'm confused.

IMAG0314.jpg

IMAG0315.jpg

Personally I would hook the wires up

Scenario 1: Hook a wire to Black port and Green port - the fan stays running with the thermostat on and off, just continuous

You will get better cooling when you put in a warm keg.

Well I'm just putting the fan in there to keep the frost off the freezer which I flattened to the back.

My question is how do I hook up the fan to work when the thermostat is turned on? That is my dilemma.

Thoughts?

So I have a Hairer mini-fridge. I want to hook up a 120vac cooling fan to the back side of the thermostat switch so when the compressor turns on so does the fan. Here is the dilemma I'm having. I have the Radio Shack fan and it has two (2) black wires on it.

Scenario 2: Hook a wire to Black port and White port - fan turns on when the thermostat is switched off, and when you switch the thermostat on the fan turns off.

I'm confused.

The problem is that there is no neutral wire in the thermostat. You need to hook your fan up in the compressor compartment. Find the white wire from the power plug and one wire from the thermostat and connect your fan across these. If it runs continuously then use the other wire from the thermostat. I assume that your fan is a 120VAC type.

If you had tried one more combination of connections at the thermostat (green and white) you'd have it working, but it is not safe to use the green ground for return current. It is best to connect it at the compressor instead, like I described above.

Yep, what Quaffer says.

The schematic shows 2 black wires on the 'stat, but the pic shows one of the wires is white which is the one going to the compressor. When you hooked the fan across BLK & WHT, the fan was powered through the compressor windings when the 'stat was open. When the 'stat closed, your fan had 120 VAC on both sides & it would stop.

Definitely pick up both neutral & switched hot from the 'stat in the compressor area & you'll be fine....

Back