Need some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmkelly29

Reaction score
I'm waiting for my first brew kit to arrive in a few weeks. In the meantime, I've purchased 4 books to get started.

Of these 4, which should I read first?

Dave Miller's "Homebrewing Guide"
Stephen Snyder's "The Brewmaster's Bible"
Charlie Papazian's "The Joy of Home Brewing, 3rd Edition"
or "Homebrewing for Dummies"

Thanks a bunch in advance. I just really want to know the best book for instruction with my first batch.

I'd start with the "Dummies" book, I haven't read it but I am familiar with others in the series and it should give you a good, understandable knowledge base to do your first brew. I am assuming that you are totally unfamiliar with the subject. After that you can get into the more detailed books.

Good Luck

In "Brewing Quality Beers" Byron Birch suggests reading Miller's books then Papazian's. I thought Papazian's was just about perfect, honestly... it's well organized, particularly for a beginner. Anyway, they'll all basically say the same thing. Give em a try.

i'd read Charlie's or Dave Miller's book. A good, easy read is Byron Burch's "Brewing Quality Beers". it's an older book, but a great book for a beginer.

also, look into Brew Your Own magazine. very, very good. tips, recipes, equipment, style history, etc. good for all of homebrewers, extract and all-grain......
good luck!

From the point of view of a complete beginner:

1) That "dummies" book is a complete waste of time :mad: ...you'll pick a lot more up just browsing this forum.

2) John Palmer's online book How to Brew, along with the written instructions from my LHBS, provided everything I needed to get through my first batch.

El Pistolero said:
From the point of view of a complete beginner:

1) That "dummies" book is a complete waste of time :mad: ...you'll pick a lot more up just browsing this forum.

We had a homebrew class at the local microbrewery. One of the brewmaster's reference books had a grocery sack protective cover around it. (Much like what you'd make for your textbook in elementary school if you can remember that...) One of the newbies asked what the book was, because he saw a hint of the tell-tale yellow and black on the spine. The brewmaster fessed up. "Brewing for dummies." :D He said he made the cover because he didn't want patrons seeing the book for what it was.

andre the giant said:
The brewmaster fessed up. "Brewing for dummies." :D

Well I guess maybe I better go look at it again :eek:

Maybe I just don't like being called a dummy...hits to close to home :D

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. I think im going to give the Dummies book a quick browse and then start Miller's "Homebrewing Guide."

El Pistolero said:
2) John Palmer's online book How to Brew, along with the written instructions from my LHBS, provided everything I needed to get through my first batch.

After meeting Palmer, I'm going to support his cause and actually buy the book. What a nice, down to earth guy.
I reference it on the web at least once a week. Its probably my favorite book for a beginning brewer. Papazian's books are good too, but beginning to get outdated.

I have been referencing Palmers on line book and it has been a big help I plan to purchase the print copy too excellent beginners guide IMHO

I have read Palmers online book, I think its really helpful. Today I went out and picked up Homebrewing for Dummies, its really well written, looks like a good reference too.

Back