Need New Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A03521FB-2B4B-465B-9A58-596F83BD167E.jpeg

This MM-3 is one of the very early models when Fred started. It has the 1/2” shaft and stainless rolls. I went the cheap route and used an old Skill drill. The router speed controller works great to slow it down. I’ve found that the roller sticking came from having my base too tight. The rollers need just the slightest ability to move. I just leave the mounting bolts finger tight, solved my locking issue. I do wish they were in bearings instead of bushings. I can’t imagine having a mill work any better than this mill. I’m guessing it has had 3,500 pounds through it. I think the gap is set at .032

I’ve found that the roller sticking came from having my base too tight. The rollers need just the slightest ability to move. I just leave the mounting bolts finger tight, solved my locking issue.

I need to keep this in mind next time I use my mill. I normally tighten the roller cover (I'm not writing about the gap setting screws) with a tool. Maybe I am making too tight?

I’ve found that even though the mounting bolts were square, they somehow made it bind. I think that slight play in the end caps let the rollers roll free. I tried food grade lubricant, air hose blowing it clean, and the bottom roll would still lock. I reach under and check it before I start it. I’ve not had an issue since. The newer models may have different bushings now. Like I said, mine is way back in the infancy of Monster.

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Mighty Mill 3. Like you, my old Barley Crushed has seen better days. Being a penny shy for the $30 discount, I ordered a cheap item to put me over the top (needed it anyway). I hope the mid August date is accurate.
Ha - we're in the same club. I ordered a pound of rice hulls. I currently have my BC mounted to a board and driven by a reversible gear motor through a Lovejoy coupling. Will need some mods to reuse this motor or maybe just use a drill?

I’ve found that even though the mounting bolts were square, they somehow made it bind. I think that slight play in the end caps let the rollers roll free. I tried food grade lubricant, air hose blowing it clean, and the bottom roll would still lock. I reach under and check it before I start it. I’ve not had an issue since. The newer models may have different bushings now. Like I said, mine is way back in the infancy of Monster.
Thanks for the input. Definitely, something I will keep in mind/try next milling.

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Mighty Mill 3. Like you, my old Barley Crushed has seen better days. Being a penny shy for the $30 discount, I ordered a cheap item to put me over the top (needed it anyway). I hope the mid August date is accurate.
It shipped today. Should have it shortly.

DIY drive coupling with 24VDV, 300 RPM geared bicycle motor, operated at 150 RPM with speed controller. Very good, slow and steady crush.

Last edited:
Nice! Above my pay grade for set up. I just used mine out of the box for a couple of grinds and it works great.

Anyone think a geared mill is worth the extra $$$?
So, I just joined after reading this entire thread. I did go with the Monster Mill MM3 geared 1/2" drive standard rollers. I did consider the Crankinstine and it sounds like a great mill I just didn't want to build a hopper and the Crankinstine gives a little less information to look over. Good luck with your Crankinstine, I want you to know your discussions led me to upgrade to the geared. I feel now I will have no regrets. Thanks

Back