Need more yeast to bottle this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smeckel

Reaction score
I put together some of Ed's Apfelwien on Sep 22nd. It was in Primary for approx 3 weeks, then put in the fridge (45 degrees) for about another 3 weeks. I'm thinking I might have some time to bottle it tonight finally, but wasn't sure if I should re-pitch after sitting in the cold for a period of time. It is completely clear and has been since about the second day in the fridge and I'm just worried there won't be enough yeast to carb it in a reasonable amount of time (Really want them ready in about 2-1/2 to 3 weeks).

So should I repitch or just go straight to adding the sugar? It is Lalvin #1118 Champagne yeast if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

I'd say hard to guess at that. Generally though even siphoning should stir up enough (all it takes is a couple flakes) to carbonate it. The last one I put in the fridge for a couple weeks was pretty flat for a while but eventually got up there about a month later.

Out of curiosity, why did you put it in the fridge? Just to clear it a bit more? I've got two 1g batches of EdWort's going right now, but was planning on leaving them in the primary for a month then straight to bottle. Any advantage to lagering them?

I had mine in primary for six weeks, then bottled. Started drinking them after 2 1/2 weeks conditioning. Man it is great! Tomorrow I am going to mix up another five gallon batch so I don't run out.

Out of curiosity, why did you put it in the fridge? Just to clear it a bit more? I've got two 1g batches of EdWort's going right now, but was planning on leaving them in the primary for a month then straight to bottle. Any advantage to lagering them?

I put it in the fridge simply to clear it up, but completely forgot about it due to trying to brew/bottle 3 other batches that week. I put a batch of apfelwein together about a year ago but it went straight to bottle after a month in primary. I doubt there will be much of a difference in taste, etc. but I'll let you know when I get to drinking these.

I think I'm going to bottle tonight without adding more yeast. Just gonna try to siphon a little lower than usual to hopefully pick up alittle off the bottom. Wish me luck.

I think I'm going to bottle tonight without adding more yeast. Just gonna try to siphon a little lower than usual to hopefully pick up alittle off the bottom. Wish me luck.

Good luck! :D Let us know how it goes! I'm interested in whether you detect a flavor difference.

Let it sit at room temp for a few days and then bottle with your priming sugar. Wake those yeasty's up! Also condition at room temp for 2-3 weeks.

Let it sit at room temp for a few days and then bottle with your priming sugar. Wake those yeasty's up! Also condition at room temp for 2-3 weeks.

Good point about letting them wake up a bit. I just pulled it out and I guess I'll have to wait till Monday to finally bottle this guy. At least I have about 4 fresh cases of Amber to keep me going till they're ready. Thanks for the help guys.

Back