Need kegging info...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwk1972

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing and have found I love it! My buddy started a few months ago and I'm on my second batch. So far so good except I've decided bottling is a P.I.T.A. for everyday drinking. I'm pretty handy and resourceful and like to build things. After looking through the many threads here I've got a good idea of what I want to do for the keg-erator portion but need more info. I've not found much info on the actual process of racking to a keg. Do you just rack to the keg the same way you would transfer to a secondary... or bottle? Also, I've seen the kits from midwest and may very well just go with one of those but I don't know of the pros and cons of the kits.

If anyone knows of where I could find this information to get going could you post it here? Thanks in advance!

I just rack directly to my keg as you would with a bottling bucket or any other vessel. I do purge my keg with CO2 prior to racking. I bought my setup from Kegconnection.com but that was just my preference.

Just gravity rack to the keg, most will purge the keg with co2 first, then, after sealing the keg, you want to pressurize and release through the pressure valve in the lid a few times to
Purge again.

You can either naturally carb in the keg at room temp like its a giant bottle or force carb hooked to co2 at keezer temps.

Back