Need idea on next beer for new brewer--extract only

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Etnewbrew

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this thread. My first beer is going to bottle soon so I'm looking for my second kit. First was goose island milk porter with specialty grains. It wasn't super hard but I goofed up in lots of places.

Seeking advice for a good second beer. Im probably getting a kit from Northern Brewery since I have 20 percent coupon. [emoji3]

Was either going chinook IPA extract because of cheap kit and good reviews. Or Gaarden Hoe cuz I love the original. I'm open to other options as well. Only extract since I'm brand new and still trying to get comfortable.

FYI. I started brewing becuz My fav beer all time is Bamburg rauchbier, but it's $6 per bottle locally. I know I won't be able to do it since it's a lager and I don't have necessary equip. But I heard smoke porter can get close (ale).

Thoughts?

My suggestion is to make the same one as your first one. You know you "goofed up", so why not try it again and correct those missteps?

Chinook IPA would be a good choice. One of my favorites. Friends are very willing to take bottles of this one home.

My suggestion is to make the same one as your first one. You know you "goofed up", so why not try it again and correct those missteps?

Thanks gonefishing, my goofs were related to my rapid wort cooling(faster than expected which threw me off), pitching temp at 75 instead of mid 60s, crappy oxi wash included with kit (not enough to go around) and autosiphon I broke misuse. Redoing the same brew actually isn't a bad idea. It would be interesting to compare final products. Hmmmm. Gosh. Then I'll have 4+ cases of porter. Hope I like em!

Back