need help! yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IreRye

Reaction score
i had my brew day and everything went well.
i transfered to my carboy and proceeded to pitch the yeast. this was my first time using a smack pack. unfortunately i did not smack the pack hard enough and realize what i was doing. long story short, i didnt break the nutrient pack inside and i poured the yeast in. its been 3 days and no activity at all.

have i lost this brew? or can i buy a new yeast pack and re pitch the yeast?

You can get more yeast and pitch. But it might not be necessary. It can take upto 72hrs to see visible signs of fermentation. If your that concerned if your yeast is active. Take a hydrometer reading and compare it against your Original gravity reading.

Sent from somewhere to someone

Edit.
And the slow start would probably be due to not breaking the bubble of nutrient that's in the smack pack. So if let it ride a little longer but you can pitch more of you're overly concerned.

When you say "no activity", what do you mean? As others will gladly point out (and even though I'm still a noob, have personally experienced), no airlock activity is not the same as no activity.

I find it hard to believe that pitching the yeast without first having broken the nutrient pack would lead to a non-starter. From the Wyeast site:

2. Can I use an Activator package without activating it and waiting for it to swell?

Yes. An Activator pack has enough yeast in it to pitch 5 gallons whether it is activated or not. There will only be a slightly longer lag time if the package is not activated before use. In any case, the nutrient pack should be popped before using because it contains valuable nutrients. Typically, the Activator can be activated when you start your brew and will be swollen by the time your wort is cool.

Back