Need help with Wyeast 3787 starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshuah57

Reaction score
I've made some starters in the past, but this yeast definitely has different characteristics. I made my current starter Wednesday evening. It is a Stage 1 of 2 starter for a Westy 12 clone. This starter is about 1.8L at a gravity of 1.035. I put it on a stir plate until Friday morning when I put it in the fridge. At that time, it had about a half inch of krausen. When I checked it Friday night, you could see it was still fermenting even in the fridge. This morning, it looked pretty clear with a nice cake on the bottom.

Now, stage 2 starter is planned to be a 4L starter (this is going to be a 10g batch btw). When I pulled the stage 1 starter out of the fridge to decant and then allow to come up to room temperature, it started bubbling within a minute (before I even could decant the yeast) from the yeast cake on the bottom and a good amount of yeast was pulled up again into suspension. Is the starter still trying to ferment? At this point, I put it back in the fridge, but can I still try to make the stage 2 yet today? Is this particular yeast normally this active? My current plan is to brew this on Saturday, the 31st. Any comments and/or suggestions greatly appreciated.

How big is your flask? If you have space why not just dump the whole thing into your second stage?

I feel like a dummy. I just so happen to have a 6L flask. Plenty of room. Thanks for the simple solution.

By the way, it is amazing again to see the yeast react so quickly to the warm air around it. It started bubbling up again within 30 secs of pulling from the fridge.

Boiling the 4L now....
PXL_20201025_220426796.jpg

Back