need help with recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccarthy-brewery

Reaction score
I have made several classic beer batches. I found one I like the body of but I want to modify it to tast. its an ipa that has a very clear crisp tast. I would like advice on how to take the I out of ipa. here is the original recipe

9# pale malt
.75 crystal malt " I believe I used 20"
.5 carapils malt

I think the grain bill is perfect!!!

its this I want to change

1.5 @60 min kent golding
1.5 @ 15 min
.25 @ secondary

I really think if I can take the bitter out of the bitter this could be a great beer for gifts to people that arnt as refined as I am.

please tone in on some sugestions.

the goal is to take the ipa out of the pale ale without making it tooo sweet

thanks guys
nate

The most important hops if the bittering is the first addition. Reduce it to 0.5 or 0.75. Then maybe bump down the 15 min addition to an ounce or so and off you go. Of note 0.25 in the secondary for a dry hop seems low to me for an ipa.
Others will chime in too I'm sure.

Read about hopstands and consider moving most or all of your hops to late additon or flameout. However, in order to maintain the balance and not make it too sweet, you may need to increase your overall amount of hops. I think you really need to be using software like Beersmith or Brewer's Friend to calculate your current IBU's and then move the additions around and see where it leaves your IBU. This recipe doesn't seem all that bitter. If you are looking for more of a crowd-pleaser, I'd suggest Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

Latest posts

Back