Need Help with an oatmeal Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schaeffert99

Reaction score
I am a new brewer who has one batch fermenting. I did a milk stout from a kit just to get the feel of things. I am trying to develope an oatmeal stout recipe using extracts but I am looking to boost the abv. I am afraid that it will be too cidery with an addition of honey. Please give me your feedback. I am trying to get my abv in the 6.5 to 7 range. I do have two variations of the recipe written. I will only post one though.

Oatmeal Stout
3lbs light DME
3 lbs Dark DME
1 lb Toasted flaked oats
.5lb Chocolate Malt
.5 lb crystal 40L
.25 lb roasted barley
1 lb Honey @5 min

Hop Schedule
1oz Galena hops @ 60 min
1 oz cascade @ 15 min
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Yeast

estimated OG 1.066
est IBU 31.8
est FG 1.017
ABV 6.5%

Like I said, I am new to brewing and very excited to start developing my own recipes but I would love some input.. Am I way off base with my expectations? Is the Honey a bad idea to try and boost ABV. I would like the sweetness of it so should I only put it in during the second fermentation process to avoid cidery flavors.. Please Help

get rid of the dark LME

use the same amount of light/ex-light LMe and up the roasted barley to .5lbs.
It would be best to mash the oatmeal with 1lb 2-row but you can get by without it.

Thanks, The other recipe I had was with only the light DME. I am concerned about the honey addition though.. Any thoughts?

there are enough nutrients in beer that the honey will ferment well and almost completely.

I'd add it at the end of the boil or right into the primary. a secondary addition is fine too.

Latest posts

Back