Need help with a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey gang (long time no see),

I've been out of the homebrew game a bit. Good thing is it wasn't by choice. I've really had the itch to get back to brewing but I need help with a recipe.

I've got a camping trip coming up in the middle of July and I thought I would try to knock out a small brew day this weekend for that trip. Here's a 'rough draft' of the recipe. It's a dry hopped pale ale. For a 5 gallon batch.....

9lbs of 2row
1lb of Caramel 40L
1lb of Munich
.5 lbs of wheat

1oz Citra, 1oz Mosaic, .25 oz Galaxy at 30 mins

1oz each of Galaxy, Mosaic, and Citra for the dry hops.

Plan to ferment with US-05 at mid 60s in my basement. Maybe mash at 154?

According to Beersmith:

Est OG - 1.054
IBUs - 46.9
SRM - 10.8
ABV - 5.6%

The main stipulation to this recipe is, the hops have to be "G M C", and I saw posts about Galaxy, Mosaic, Citra based beers when doing a search. It doesn't have to be those exact hops, but those seem to be the popular ones for that acronym.

Thanks and great to see this place again and everyone in it! Cheers!

That looks like it should work. It'll be less bitter than you think with only 30 minutes of hop boiling, but that also depends on the percentage of alpha acids.

Can't speak to the hops, I really dislike Mosaic, but it's very popular in these types of recipes and should work to your satisfaction.

I might want to make it a bit drier, so maybe mash at 151 or 150, but that's personal preference.

Good luck with it, and report back.

Thanks Mongoose!

I was looking over my ingredients and seem to lack the galaxy. I was hoping to order some from Amazon on More Beer for their fast shipping, but they are out. What would be a good "G" hop I could substitute in case I can't find any galaxy?

Welcome back!
I was looking over my ingredients and seem to lack the galaxy. I was hoping to order some from Amazon on More Beer for their fast shipping, but they are out. What would be a good "G" hop I could substitute in case I can't find any galaxy?
Galaxy is hard to find right now, the big boys gobble them up with their contracts. Hopefully a few pounds will be left for us to "fight over" some time soon.

Here are some "G" alternatives:
Galena (good for bittering, citrusy, goes well in IPAs)
Glacier
Golding
Green Bullet (NZ)

There may be others but availability can be an issue.

To keep with G M C, you could try Goldings for bittering (60 minutes) and push the Mosaic and Citra back as whirlpool and dry hops. You'll get more mosaic and citra hop flavour and aroma that way.

I've never used Galaxy yet . It's just crazy how hard it is to get right now . I plan on dry hopping my peach blonde ale with a bit of Galaxy .

I have never had a problem getting Galaxy
Where from?

My LHBS was selling 2018's Galaxy at least up to May, but only in 1 or 2 oz (re-)packs at a fairly staggering price. They ran out of Vic Secret way before that.

I remember spending $3.50 an ounce on Simcoe 7 years ago. Times five! :tank:

I've never used Galaxy yet . It's just crazy how hard it is to get right now . I plan on dry hopping my peach blonde ale with a bit of Galaxy .
She won't disappoint, she never does!
Just prevent air contact (causing oxidation) at any point after pitching yeast.

And store her frozen, vacuum packed or purged from air.

Welcome back!

Galaxy is hard to find right now, the big boys gobble them up with their contracts. Hopefully a few pounds will be left for us to "fight over" some time soon.

Here are some "G" alternatives:
Galena (good for bittering, citrusy, goes well in IPAs)
Glacier
Golding
Green Bullet (NZ)

There may be others but availability ca be an issue.
I use green bullet in my house APA! It's a great hop to use for that style but I keep mine at 15 minutes to flameout and dry hop with it also.

Well, a pic of the finished product and a little back story on this beer.

GMC Beer.jpg

As mentioned, I was wanting to brew a beer for a good friend of mine. About two months ago, he was out walking his dog when he was struck by a car. The driver was texting and didn't see him until the last moment. Had his dog been on the other side, obviously no dog.

Funny thing is, my friend, Daryl, (who's not a really big dude) never did fall down after being hit, though he did sit down to process what just happened. The car stuck him hard enough to break the side view mirror. His arm and side were purple for weeks.

Scared the hell out of a lot of us at work, but dude is pretty tough and is doing better than expected. The vehicle that hit him was a GMC Acadia. So for those still reading, there's where the GMC part comes from.

As anyone from my job will tell you, Daryl is one of those types that will go out of his way to help someone out. There's not many people like him, so I wanted this next batch to be for him. The beer turned out great and better than I was expecting.

More on the recipe.

As mentioned before, I went with the ingredients in original post.

Daryl's Acadia Pale Ale

OG- 1.054 FG- 1.006 ABV- 6.2%

9lbs of 2 Row
1lb of wheat
1lb of Munich
1/2 lb of Crystal 40

Mashed at 150F as recommended for 60 minutes. Then collected about 6.75G of wert and boiled:

1/2 oz of Chinook (11.2%) for 60 min
1/2oz each of Galaxy (15.4%), Mosaic (11%), and Citra (13.4%) at 1 min

Cooled to 72F and pitched re-hydrated US-05 yeast. Temp dropped to 68F and stayed there until I kegged it. "keg hopped" with 1oz each of GMC hops, filled keg with beer, then force carbed at 35psi for about 36hrs, then vented keg, and dropped the pressure to 12psi.

The beer still, to me, had a bit of a flat taste when we first tried it. He liked it, but it definitely got better as it aged a bit. I was hoping for a lower abv but it was the first beer I've brewed in a while and it tasted great, so I just enjoyed it. I'm definitely going to brew this again. I bought some Galena as back up in case the Galaxy didn't arrive on time. I may try it and see what happens.

Thank you guys for the help. This was the first beer I've brewed in quite a while. My last few batches before that were kinda "meh". This beer just kept improving til the last pint.

Back