Need help with a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elroy82

Reaction score
I have a few batches under my belt. I found this recipe and would like to give it a go. Could someone help with explaining it in a little more detail. Thanks in advance

20151010_132152.png

What more detail would you like? That's pretty much as detailed as it will get. Have you been doing recipes with extract or have you been doing all grain recipes?

Looks pretty straightforward. You've got your grain bill, your hops amounts and schedule, and your mash schedule as well. The only thing I don't see is the fermentation info but that can be found on this page near the bottom. Looks like the Burton does best between 68-73F.

What more detail would you like? That's pretty much as detailed as it will get. Have you been doing recipes with extract or have you been doing all grain recipes?

I have done a few extract recipes and just tried my first all grain recently. So on this recipe would I mash all malt grains together with sugar and then add hops during the boil.

Looks pretty straightforward. You've got your grain bill, your hops amounts and schedule, and your mash schedule as well. The only thing I don't see is the fermentation info but that can be found on this page near the bottom. Looks like the Burton does best between 68-73F.

I'm not seeing a schedule. I'm a newb, lol. I guess the previous recipe I tried was in idiot proof. It had which malt to add at which time and so on. This one just seems to confuse me.

I have done a few extract recipes and just tried my first all grain recently. So on this recipe would I mash all malt grains together with sugar and then add hops during the boil.

Mash all of the grains together as directed, and I would say add the brown sugar after your last hop addition.

"No" to the sugar going in the mash. With all grain brewing you add the sugars near the end of the boil (10-15 minutes before flameout).

But other than that you are correct. You'd have your grains crushed (milled) and it says to mash at 158°F. It suggests a temp of 174°F for your strike water to account for the temp of the MLT and grains once added.

The profile you selected (Single Infusion, Full Body) includes a mash out. If you are batch sparging, you can skip this step and add that volume of water (5.5qt) to the mash (strike) volume. This will decrease the mash thickness a bit and allow an easier drain of first runnings, as well as a marginally better efficiency.

You may know this already but the time out to the right of your hops is how much time left in your boil when you add that particular hop. Not how long into the boil.

Back