Need help with a no boil all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sturner924

Reaction score
So I did a 6 gallon smash recipe, 20lbs maris otter, 6-7 oz cascade.

I only had enough kettle space to boil half of the wort. I took half of the sweet wort straight from the mash tun into primary, and I boiled the other half with the hops and then put that in the fermenter with it.

It has been in primary for 20 days now, I'm about to bottle it, do you think it is worth bottling or is it probably going to be nasty?
I'm aware it will probably be sour, but that's okay with me.

Also, if it is drinkable, will it last as long as a full boiled brew?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just tasted it, it tastes a tad sour. It fermented to 1.00

I'm going to go ahead and bottle it tonight.
Since I didn't boil a portion of the wort, will the beer go bad/develop nasty flavors sooner than a full boiled brew?

I would expect nasty. Grain is loaded with micro organisms. Let us know after it's carbed if it is indeed bad though.

I have heard of no boil Berliners that turn out quite nicely though. I'm hoping this turns out as a pleasantly sour surprise.

I honestly wasn't even thinking when I skipped the boil. I'll keep ya'll updated.

Does anybody know if this beer, if it's even drinkable, will go bad faster??

Oh I should probably add that I put Campden in the half of the wort that I didn't boil.
I figured it might help a little at killing some microorganisms.

this was all on the fly, no recipe, no plan.

I'll think ahead next time

What do you mean go bad faster? Technically it's probably already "bad".

I don't know what the campden did, but it's likely it's still contaminated quite a bit with other microorganisms. You didn't provide any other helpful information like mash temp, primary yeast strain, or OG, but since it fermented down to 1.00(0?), I would assume that to be the case as that's beyond the attenuation capabilities of most brewing yeast strains.

That's no different than for example a lambic, that can take years until they reach peak maturity (although most often old and new are blended). A properly-made normal-gravity all-saccharomyces beer has a shelflife of months until it starts to deteriorate (although with bottle conditioning probably can be a while). In comparison a sour beer will continue to change (arguably for the better) over the course of years.

If it came down to 1.000 from over 1.100, then you have a 14% beer that I think in even the best of cases is going to take a good long while until it's pleasant and doesn't taste like rocket fuel. It sounds like a good candidate for doing what we shall not discuss.

You probably have a wild lactic infection in the beer. Similar to what people do for a sour mash/sour wort method.

You've blended it, and the hops will make the lactic infection slow, but won't stop it. Colder temps will help keep it in check.

My advice is to drink it fast. It'll get more and more sour if given the time and the warm temps. It could also have some other stuff going on with it, so I would be weary to bottle it myself. If you keg, then have at it if you like the flavor.

Keep in mind, everything that has touched it, has a lactobacillus infection, so you need to clean all of your gear accordingly.

Back