Need Help with a Clamp on CO2 system.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLYPacNW

Reaction score
Hoping someone can teach me a thing or two here. I'm new to working CO2 systems and the totally foreign fittings and hardware that go with them.

1) What is this tension clamp called that fits the hose to the valve?
2) What tool do I need to take it off and put it on?
3) Are they meant to be single use clamps?
4) Is there a quick release option that I can use in lieu of this thing once I get it off?

Thanks!

17767F03-8D7A-41EC-ABF8-B74A9046676A_1_201_a.jpeg

1. Oetiker Clamp.
  2. There is a special tool. But most people use screwdriver / needlenose pliers / cursewords to get them off. It works.
  3. Single use
  4. hose clamps work well.
Oetiker clamps are VERY tight. The are much tighter than the hose clamps, but hose clamps work well for most applications. Hose clamp image below.

1651968015623.png

Great, thank you! I had a feeling light violence would be required to resolve this, and so it shall be.

Very familiar with hose clamps. Very unfamiliar with Oetiker clamps, probably going to keep it that way.

Oetiker clamps have superior even clamping force. It becomes necessary at smaller hose diameters. The way to quick disconnect is to use male flare connections instead of fixed hose barbs. That way you never unclamp or cut off a hose.

Great, thank you! I had a feeling light violence would be required to resolve this, and so it shall be.

Very familiar with hose clamps. Very unfamiliar with Oetiker clamps, probably going to keep it that way.
If you've got a tool like the one shown below (crimper/cutter) , you can snip through the "ear" on the clamp. This will release it instantly. That's a 1/4" clamp on 1/4" poly tubing.
Just did this on a glycol-flooded tap I'm installing.
1652033575760.png

Back