need help w garage ferm chamber and temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vahunter1819

Reaction score
So i have an outdoor fridge i have been using as my ferm chamber. i use a johnson a419 controller and it has worked like a charm in the spring and summer. now that fall is upon us, well down in NC it like we skipped straight to winter, but my fridge is much colder than i wanted. with the temps getting dow to the 40s already, i wake up to find my fridge which i set to 64 is now down to 61. luckily the brew currently fermenting was about done anyways, so im not worried about this affecting it too much, but for my next brews im curious how i should move forward.

Was thinking about getting a seed germination pad, hooking it up to the johnson419, and putting it inside the fridge to combat the cold weather...but what about those weird days were the temps rise like crazy and the garage gets warm, now i have no way to cool it down cause the johnson is plugged to the germination pad. I was thinking of picking up an inkbird and hooking it up to both the fridge and the pad. does this seem like a reasonable approach? any advice? thank in advance!!!

You need a 2 relay controller with a heat and cool cycle. I do a similar thing. with a STC1000 unit. One side wired into a paint can with a 100w light bulb inside and one side controlling the compressor. Your heating pad will most likely work too. In the winter I can maintain warm ferm temps with no issue.

You need a 2 relay controller with a heat and cool cycle. I do a similar thing. with a STC1000 unit. One side wired into a paint can with a 100w light bulb inside and one side controlling the compressor. Your heating pad will most likely work too. In the winter I can maintain warm ferm temps with no issue.

Agreed! I do the same only I use a paint can with a light bulb inside. On/off as needed. No issues :)

Back