Need help to start this new brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpiton

Reaction score
I found this recipe on the forum. Sounds like everybody like this light beer.
I new to homebreiwng ( i got 2 batch made with muntons kit). When you see boiling time, does this mean it needs to boil that time or is this the time you put it in? Really a neewbie question but I can't really find the answer:
Example:
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
Do I put it in after the water have boiled 45 mins or does it mean that the hops needs to boile 45 min ?

Thanks for the asnwer
==========================================================

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Hi, the boil time on hops refers to when you add them during the boil - for example a 45min hop addition would be added when 45min are left in the boil. In other words you want the hop to boil for the amount of time given in the recipe. Hope that helps!

The easiest way to do this is to have a cheap kitchen timer, with the ability to go from 60 minutes to 0.

When you add your first hops addition, set the timer for the time remaining. That's usually 60 minutes, but not always. Then add the rest of the ingredients when the timer gets to that number. for example, if you have an ounce of hops to add at 15 minutes, when the timer hits "15", add them. Once you get the hang of it, it's second nature so don't worry, it'll come!

Go on google and look up the free book "how to brew" by John Palmer or go on amazon and buy it. Here's a link:

http://www.howtobrew.com/

+1 On this book! I too am a newb at home brewing and am reading this book and learning. Another great book is: The Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian. And his other book The Home Brewer's Companion for when you feel you have reached the 'advanced' level- it will be a while for me I think! LOL 1st ever home brew was just bottled today! :)

Pantherjon, Rock On! Congrats on bottling your first batch! Now remember, STAY OUT OF IT! Well, not forever but please don't do yourself and and new beer the disservice of drinking it green. You don't say what style your beer is, but if you start drinking it too young by the time it gets great you may only have one bottle left. So while you are waiting, get another batch started to fill your pipeline.

Back