Need help to disable thermostat on portable mini fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ey3pod

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just bought a used mini fridge for $15 and I am hoping to make the fridge temperature colder by disabling the thermostat and adding a bigger fan.

I'm hoping someone can share their wisdom and teach me how to disable the thermostat.

The fridge only have cool or warm switch, there's no digital or analog button to adjust the temperature.

Below are pictures of the wiring, the brown / blue wires are for the power plug. The red and black wires are for the fan. I don't know what the yellow wires are for, it is underneath the heatsink joined together near the peltier chip.

Are those yellow cables related to the thermostat? The wires are near the solder points next to the cool or warm switch. I heard that some thermostat have set temperature, but I have no idea how to modify it.

Thank you

20190430_233751.jpg
20190430_233759.jpg
20190430_223758.jpg
20190430_223141.jpg
20190429_231503.jpg
20190429_231512.jpg
20190428_104148.jpg
20190430_223141.jpg
20190430_223744.jpg

This is Peltier cooled.....I don't think any efforts that you will undertake, including a bigger fan, are going to make that fridge much colder. Even if you install a bigger heat sink and larger fan, you might only get a few more degrees out of it. Does it ever shut odd in cool mode? My guess would be that it would just run constantly in cool mode.

The electronics is a power supply to take your 220v AC down to 12V DC.....there may be a little more to it but it doesn't look like it.

Last edited:
Thank you TechFanMD.

The fan shut off when I woke up this morning, it was making this tik tok sound. Could the room temperature have caused the fan to turn off? I stored it on wooden floor in my bed room, room temperature was around 24 Celsius.

Afterward, I placed the fridge in the living room and the fan stayed on all day.

They probably have some electronics to turn it off if the peltier gets too hot. Temp difference, especially cooling, will depend on ambient temp quite a bit.

They probably have some electronics to turn it off if the peltier gets too hot. Temp difference, especially cooling, will depend on ambient temp quite a bit.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll test it out for the next few days and see if the fan still turn off. Maybe it could use more thermal paste, when I bought the fridge, it was quite dusty, so it's been sitting in the garage for a while.

Back