need help single pump build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chia

Reaction score
right now i have a three tear build. I have my boil kettle too low to the ground, since it is gravity fed, to cool out of and put in carboys. thus i have to have a friend help me lift my 10 gallon batches every time i brew. I want to buy one pump and keep my HLT up high, then i could pump from mashtun to boil. does this make any sense?

I built a stand that was a 2 tier but arranged differently then a normal 2 tier would be. My mash tun was down low, my HLT was high on the left of the tun, and my BK was high on the right of my tun. It worked out well. I was able to gravity feed the water from my hlt to my tun and use a pump to transfer from my tun to the BK. with this setup I was able to use the pump to recirculate while I chilled it. Here is the thread for my build to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

What you are saying would work but you will likely find it more difficult to pump wort out of your mashtun than you would to pump hot water or to pump wort out of your boil kettle. I had a 10 gallon Igloo mashtun and found out that my 3/8" output works fine for gravity but would not work with a pump.

If you have something to block hops, then just pump your boiled wort into your carboy. If you don't you could also put your HLT low, your mash tun high and your BK at middle height and only pump the hot water into your mash tun and gravity feed the rest. Using the pump only on your pre-boil side does have the advantage of not having to be as concerned with the sanitation of the pump, you still have to clean it but not as much as you would if you use it post boil.

Thanks. it is looking like i might have to rebuild my stand. both of your ideas are good. I would like to keep my MT away from the burners however.

Back