need help saving a 1 gallon ipa batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one s1x

Reaction score
I just made a gallon of mead from craft a brew single ipa. I put a little extra sugar (2 teaspoons), and about 8.5 grams of cannabis into it in a brew bag. everything was going alright, everything was sterilized well. I added the yest and set it up in my brew closet. it's been 2 hours and there is no real reaction happening. very little foaming and no gas bubbling. I may have put too much marijuana in it and some how hurt the yeast, or the yeast was well past its prime. I only have some ec-1118 and a large pack of "Liquor Quik Super Yeast X-Press" on hand and I'm trying to save the batch. I need a bit of help to atleast get something out of this. I'm open to suggestions and would appreciate any help how much of what yeast to use for something tangible. ty in advance and cheers

my panties were not calm and I dumped 20g of turbo yeast in it. I prolly frigged it all up, but I learned a lessona don't be a noob. smoke it, before you broke it. which I prolly did, cheers all. happy brewing

I’m no expert in marijuana beers but I can’t see you putting so much in that it had a negative impact on the yeast. Hops and marijuana are very closely related and I’ve seen some beers with incomprehensible amounts of hops.

Two hours is WAY too short of a timeline to have visible signs of fermentation for most beers.

Do you mind sharing your recipe? From what I read above it sounds like you brewed a hoppy IPA inspired braggot (fermented barley and honey is called Braggot) with champagne yeast and cannabis? I’m only asking because this is a very strange smash up of things and I want to make sure we entirely understanding what you’re trying to concoct here.

Check again after it's been in the FV for 18 hours. Then forget about it for at least 2 maybe 3 weeks. If you have a hydrometer then you can check a sample every now and then and you'll have better information to share with us. Temps wouldn't hurt either.

I had a few too many when I pitched the yeast. I was convinced the yeast was dead and ended up adding a stupid amount of the only other yeast I had on hand. I probably ruined it all. I guess I learned a lesson. anyway it's overly active right now. I guess I'll leave it be and see if I get anything palatable in the end. thank you for your help. cheers

I’m no expert in marijuana beers but I can’t see you putting so much in that it had a negative impact on the yeast. Hops and marijuana are very closely related and I’ve seen some beers with incomprehensible amounts of hops.

Two hours is WAY too short of a timeline to have visible signs of fermentation for most beers.

Do you mind sharing your recipe? From what I read above it sounds like you brewed a hoppy IPA inspired braggot (fermented barley and honey is called Braggot) with champagne yeast and cannabis? I’m only asking because this is a very strange smash up of things and I want to make sure we entirely understanding what you’re trying to concoct here.
yeah it was originally a craft a brew recipe single hop ipa. I added an extra 2 teaspoons of table sugar and 8.5 grams of cannabis in a brew bag. I used the yeast it came with plus 20 grams of super yeast x-press. it's gonna be "interesting" how this mess turns out. cheers

Attachments

• 20230115_192500.jpg
    20230115_192500.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Back