Need HELP... recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadygrove96

Reaction score
Still fairly new to this and this is the closest to a "from scratch" recipe that I have created. In the past I have either used someone elses recipe or and AHS kit and made minor tweeks here and there. Some help/feedback would be much appreciated.

I wanted to create a partial mash, Black IPA. I could not really find any partial mash recipes... so instead of converting an all grain recipe, I figured there was no better time than now for creating my own recipe.

Batch Size- 5 gal.
60 min boil

Ammount/% Grain:
6lb- Light DME- 61.54%
2lb- Pale Malt (2 Row)- 20.51%
.75lb- Carafa Special II (430 L)- 7.69%
.5lb- Crystal Malt (40L)- 5.13%
.5lb- Chocolate Malt (500L)- 5.13%

Hops- (Alpha)- Schedule
1.5 oz- Centenial (8.7%)- 60min
.5 oz-Centenial (8.7%)- 30min
1oz- Amarillo (7.2%)- 15min
.5oz- Cascade (5%)- 15min
1oz- Cascade (5%)- 5min
1oz- Amarillo (7.2%)- Dry Hop 7days
.5oz- Cascade (5%)- Dry Hop 7days

Wyeast #1506 American Ale Yeast

Profile:
Est. Original Gravity: 1.072 Est. Final: 1.017
Est. ABV: 7.14%
IBU: 52.4 SRM: 41.8

I would especially like some feedback on my Hop Schedule. I am thinking about changing it up a little to increase my IBU. I basically have 2oz of Centenial, 2oz of Amarillo, and 2oz of Cascade to work with (all pellet). This is also the first time I am dry hopping, so if I am way off on the ammounts or time, let me know. I want a very strong hop aroma.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately to get what you want, I think you'll need more hops. The amount of dry hops you have is probably too little for a very strong aroma. I also agree that you could use more kettle hops to boost the IBUs. More kettle hops + more dry hops = more hops. I would recommend 3oz of dry hops, and some more late kettle hops to get your IBUs up to 60+. Other people may have differing opinions though.

If 6 ounces is all you have to work with (this kind of beer should probably have 10+ ounces) I would try this:

2 ounces Centennial at 60 (if you can do a 90 minute boil, that will get you even more bitterness)

1.5 ounces of hops at 5

2.5 ounces of hops dry hop

This will be probably be decent, but you can't skimp on the hops if you want that truly powerful aroma (and perceived flavor).

6 oz of hops is what i have on hand at home right now. as the recipe was coming together and i was starting to see what the estimated IBU's were going to be, I kind of figured that I would need more hops. I plan on brewing this during the week, so its not a big deal, I just will need to run out and get more hops before I brew. I didnt realize that i would need 2.5 - 3 oz of hops just for the dry hopping, but like I said, this is my first time dry hopping. I'm definitely a hop head and I want to do this beer right, so I will get more. I dont want to half-ass it just to stick with what I have at home.

Any recommendations as to what hops I should add to my current selections for this beer? Should I pick up a higher Alpha hop for early boil, such as Magnum? From what I have read, it seems like the Amarillo and Cascade are good for the dry hopping, maybe I will pick up more of them for the late boil/dry hopping.

Any other recommendations? How about the rest of the recipe, how does it look?

6 oz of hops is what i have on hand at home right now. as the recipe was coming together and i was starting to see what the estimated IBU's were going to be, I kind of figured that I would need more hops. I plan on brewing this during the week, so its not a big deal, I just will need to run out and get more hops before I brew. I didnt realize that i would need 2.5 - 3 oz of hops just for the dry hopping, but like I said, this is my first time dry hopping. I'm definitely a hop head and I want to do this beer right, so I will get more. I dont want to half-ass it just to stick with what I have at home.

Any recommendations as to what hops I should add to my current selections for this beer? Should I pick up a higher Alpha hop for early boil, such as Magnum? From what I have read, it seems like the Amarillo and Cascade are good for the dry hopping, maybe I will pick up more of them for the late boil/dry hopping.

Any other recommendations? How about the rest of the recipe, how does it look?

If you're going to pick up some more...here is what I would do personally:

2 ounces centennial at first boil (60 or 90 depending on capacity)
1 ounce cascade, 1 ounce amarillo at 10
1 ounce cascade, 1 ounce amarillo at 5
1 ounce cascade, 1 ounce amarillo at 0
2 ounces cascade, 2 ounces amarillo at KO

I think the grain bill looks just fine.

Back