Need Help... Pitch or not...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXANM

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Long brew day, but after finishing brewing I noticed my starter does not look well at all. No foam, no action, nothing. I am using a stir plate. If I wait till tomorrow when my LHBS opens will my brew still be OK? Should I just pitch & hope for the best?

It was a dry yeast originally (made a starter out of extract yesterday), but for some reason it hasn't acted like the yeast is health. I don't think I have an issue with contamination, but that is always a possibility I guess. If I wait, will that be an issue to get yeast tomorrow & pitch them?

I have several dry packets in my beer fridge just so I can pitch if the initial pitch stalled out or never started, normally though I just rehydrate my dry yeast according to the package instructions and pitch away, I have heard that making a starter from dry yeast is not ideal but I cannot tell you why, I just recall reading that somewhere.

If you dont fear contamination wait, it wont hurt. The thing about pitching as soon as possible is to give the yeast a chance to gain a foot hold before other organisms. The no chill method requires you to wait so you don't cook your yeast.
Personally I dont make a starter with dry yeast, I usually don't even rehydrate, just dump it in and the next morning its doing its thing. There will be no issuses if you wait as long as the wort has not been contaminated.

Back