Need help for the wifey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeetaman

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with finding a beer my wife will drink? Long story short, she hates beer, but the hops really helps with breastmilk production. I love beer and figure this is my best chance to convert her to the dark side. She wants sweet and fruity, but I have no experience in this field. Can anyone help with a recipe? She liked the Lindemans framboise well enough, but I can't wait a year for a sour beer. Any help is appreciated.

Making a beer for someone that doesnt like beer.... seems like a good idea...

You might try a Quilters Irish Death clone. It's a dark beer and high alcohol content, but its very sweet and easy to drink and has converted more "I don't like beer" people than any other beer I can think of in these parts.

Otherwise you might try a hopped strawberry wine or something?

Just curious, aren't you not supposed to drink alcohol while breast feeding though?

She is forcing it down because she needs the hops. I'm just trying to make it a little more palatable for her. She had a blueberry beer a couple weeks ago that she really enjoyed, but I wasn't with her so I don't know what it was......

Surprisingly enough you can still drink. She is doing it for a milk bank for premature babies who have to stay in the NICU. You are allowed 2 drinks per day. So she wants the hops, but also wants me to cover up the taste if possible....I know....she's a rookie.

Huckleberry beers are also very popular around here with the "fruity" crowd. You could adapt that recipe with blueberries without much effort. And if it was a store-bought blueberry beer it was most likely Wild Blue Blueberry Lager

Wait - home run: If it's hops she wants, do something with a hopshot/Hop Jizz. Chase it with a lime wedge like its a shot of cheap tequila.

If she's going to "force it down" why not just do a hop tea? I've never tried adding anything to make hop tea taste better but I'm sure there is a way. Otherwise you could do a wheat beer and add fruit, those seem to be popular with a lot of non beer drinkers.

You might try a Quilters Irish Death clone. It's a dark beer and high alcohol content, but its very sweet and easy to drink and has converted more "I don't like beer" people than any other beer I can think of in these parts.

Otherwise you might try a hopped strawberry wine or something?

Just curious, aren't you not supposed to drink alcohol while breast feeding though?

You can still drink. It's in and out of your breastmilk at the same rate as the rest of your body. Midwife recently informed us of this. So in between feeding you can do whatever so long as you allow enough time before the next feeding. So you know...probably not a good idea to get sloppy drunk, but by all means let the lady have a beer. She earned it.

If she's going to "force it down" why not just do a hop tea? I've never tried adding anything to make hop tea taste better but I'm sure there is a way. Otherwise you could do a wheat beer and add fruit, those seem to be popular with a lot of non beer drinkers.

What recipe would you recommend for this? I'm not much of a wheat beer fan (I like porters, stouts and Belgian strong ales), so fruit brewing is not my forte.

What recipe would you recommend for this? I'm not much of a wheat beer fan (I like porters, stouts and Belgian strong ales), so fruit brewing is not my forte.

To be honest I feel the same as far as beer styles, but I think 50% 2-row, 50% wheat, (say 5-7 lbs ea. for 5 gal) about an oz of a fairly restrained hop like willamette or fuggle at 60 min and 1/2 oz again at 0-5 min should be good, mash a little lower than normal (150?) since you should pick up some sweetness from the fruit. I would try to find a couple pounds of fruit puree of your fruit choice and add it to the fermenter after initial fermentation has slowed down a bit.

I haven't actually brewed this though

Hops? I always thought it was the malt that did the trick. My wife always mixes up malted milks for that issue. Though maybe the whole "IPAs give you manboobs" hormone thing has something to do with it.

Which makes me think: What about a milk stout? Lots of malt, lots of hops, and an awesome pun to boot.

If she likes wine, I've always wondered what hop infused wine would be like. Maybe a champagne.

Back