Need help fixing what I meant to do..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOH

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I brewed a Black IPA that I intended be as piney as you could get a beer. Well, unfortunately, it worked. The hydro sample is like drinking pine sap. Here is the recipe:

http://hopville.com/recipe/974652/american-ipa-recipes/electrified-hate

I'm not looking for "well, I wouldn't have..." comments, or "Next time....". I know that I probably should have made this with just the hops and added the juniper and rosemary next time if I thought that they were needed, but I had a wild hair. They don't stand out at all, just add to the overall pineyness. Here are the options that I can see so far:

1. Dryhop as planned with Chinook, Simcoe, and Columbus, and hope that it somehow levels gets this on more beery levels.

2. Dryhop with fruity/citrus hops to add another dimension. I have centennial, amarillo, and citra at my disposal.

3. Make a quart or two of strong wort by steeping some crystal and adding dme, and add this the beer to maybe bring the FG up a couple points to bring down the perceived bitterness.

4. Some combination of the above.

5. Nothing at all.

Even if I try something and it doesn't work, I figure I can sit on this until Christmas and tell people that I meant to make taste like that. It should mellow by then anyhow.

If I would be better served by placing this in another subforum, let me know.
Thanks.

I would finish following the recipe. I did an amarillo citra APA that the hydro sample tasted horrid, like being punched in the mouth by a very bitter papaya. I decided I had gone this far so I might as well finish. After 6 weeks in the bottle it is wonderful.

I'm actually very interested in trying this recipe, let us know what you decide to do and how out turns out

I've decided that I'm going to move this over to secondary, wait until everything calms down somewhat, and then dry hop it as planned. Should still end up as a tasty beer.

Let it ride and continue as planned. Worst case is that you'll need to let the beer age to take the bitter edge off. Be sure to post back after it has been chilled and carbed.

Back