need help!!! fiting a half barrel in my keeper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sry i meant keezer in my topic haha. so day trippr are you positive it will hold a half barrel because aim going to buy it online

i am thinking about purchasing a kenmore 7.2 cu ft chest freezer and converting it into a keezer. does anyone know if it can fit a half barrel keg inside of it??? does anyone have this freezer??? or seen it been done??? please help thinking of purchasing it at sears. here is the link check it out.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...Freezers&IceMakers&sName=Chestmv=rr:confused:

need the interior dimensions to be sure. i have a 7.2 frigidaire that will if you build a collar. but at that point, you could only fit one keg inside

milesvdustin said:
How the heck do you go about lifting a full half barrel into a keezer anyhow?

It's very hard but me and my girlfriend did it the first time denting the collar just a bit.. Oh well . The other time me and my brother were able to pick it up and over the collar . It's not super easy but can be done

i guess i will go with the frigidaire then to be on the safe side. i already bought a tower conversion kit but is that going to work for my keeper. do i have to build a collar if i am going to have a tower kit?? post a pic of this collar if i have to build it. aim a newbie.

i guess i will go with the frigidaire then to be on the safe side. i already bought a tower conversion kit but is that going to work for my keeper. do i have to build a collar if i am going to have a tower kit?? post a pic of this collar if i have to build it. aim a newbie.

Your inbox is full. So here's the reply to your PM about my temperature controller.

brewskiman said:
what temp do you have set on your controller ??? mine is set at 35 deg. and the dif is set at 3. its on cooling mode cut out at set point. is that to cold for a keg or no. is cut out better? or cut in? i have a johnson a419. testing the temp before i buy a keg. whats yours at?

I have mine set to 43 with a 3 degree differential. This allows me to serve my beer (ales) at a temp that is still cold but accentuates the various flavors. Too cold and it just doesn't have the same aroma and flavor profile. If you keep it at 35 with a 3 degree diff, this isn't too cold as long as you have beer with alcohol in it. It shouldn't freeze. Lots of guys use their keezers to cold condition. They'll set it at 33/32F and let the yeast drop so they can rack clear beer from their fermenter into a keg. This is done a lot with lagers, but can be done with ales too if you want crystal clear beer. If lagers are what you brew and drink mostly then those colder temps seem appropriate. I brew and drink mostly ales so those cold temps are too much for my tastes. Hope that helps.

Hi

If you are going with kegs from most commercial brewers, they often recommend 36 to 38 F for storage temp. Indeed a good ale will have no taste at all at 36F. In most setups, the beer warms quite a bit between the keg and the glass on your table. More or less for a collar system:

Beer in keg at 36
Line at 38 (higher in freezer)
Shank at 44 (part in freezer)
Faucet at 70 (hanging out in the room)
Glass at 85 (room temp)

For a tower system with no fan:

Beer in keg at 36
Line at 38 to 85 (as it goes up the tower)
Shank at 85 (room temp)
Faucet at 85 (room temp)
Glass at 85 (room temp)

As the beer from the keg goes past all that stuff it tries to cool it down to 36. Beer sitting in the line is at what ever the line temp is.

The stuff the beer goes past tries to warm the beer up to what ever it's sitting at. They reach a bit of a compromise and the beer likely is around 45 when it fills up the glass. With something like the tower system the second pour will be at 45, who knows where the first pour will be.

Most (but not all) of us then take the glass somewhere and drink it. If it sits on the table for a minute or two, that's more warming.

To make it all a bit more complex, flavor depends a bit on how long its been at a given temperature. Ten seconds at 46 is not going to give you quite the same effect as a couple minutes. Then there's glass shape and degree of fill ...

You too can have fun with a digital thermometer and multiple glasses of beer. Just need one more data point to compete the graph ....:mug:

Bob

Good info bob. I don't have a draft system like that (yet). I just have a picnic tap. So everything sits in the keezer at 43. The glasses are room temp for sure, but that other stuff doesn't come into play. I'll keep it all in mind though when I go that route. I'm interested to see what the serving temp actually is once the glass is poured. Looks like I'll be conducting an experiment.

Back