Help safely removing freezer hinge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Totally

Reaction score
I am getting ready to start my keezer build and currently have a Frigidaire 7.2 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer Model: FFFC07M1QW

I have read through so many of the other builds and they all say to be careful removing the lid hinge and show putting a nail through a hole in the side.

I have attached a picture of my hinge, has anyone seen this type of hinge and knows how to safely remove it from the freezer body?

I have removed the bottom part of the cover and there are screws there going into the back of the freezer, I just don't see a way to prevent the spring from moving.

I also can not see a way to remove the cover from the top part of the hinge, that part I am ok with since I will be having my lid open on top of a collar and don't really need to remove that part.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

20161029_174258.jpg

Hah, from what I have read in other threads about heeding the warning stickers and all the safety talk I had assumed they were much worst than grenades.

Mine hinges weren't loaded like all the other threads suggested so I worried for nothing!

I had the same hinges on mine, and had the same worries. But they were stable once the screws were removed. That top plastic cap should snap off without any problems if you need to get to those screws also. I removed mine completely and reattached without issues.

I had the same hinges on mine, and had the same worries. But they were stable once the screws were removed. That top plastic cap should snap off without any problems if you need to get to those screws also. I removed mine completely and reattached without issues.

Excellent, thanks for adding your experience with these. I will remove with the lid open to lessen the spring tension and do things slowly. Looking forward to the rest of my keezer gear arriving later this week.

Latest posts

Back