Keezer Build Thread- Kenmore Model 12909 8.8 cu ft - Need Advice Too

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
I just took delivery of my new chest freezer and I'm getting ready to start my build. I have some questions I need to sort out before I start and I'm hoping I can get some advice from experienced keeper owners.

I just purchased a new "Kenmore Model 12909 8.8 cu ft Chest Freezer".

I'm planning on building in very much like the build in this thread with some small differences. I do also plan to run 4 faucets.

Great job "Invertalon"!

There's a few questions I need help with in making some build decisions.

As you can see in the pictures below, I can fit 5 ball lock kegs in the main part of the freezer with no problems. I can fit my 10# C02 tank on the hump w/ the dual regulator installed or I can fit it in the main compartment between the 2 kegs in the upper left w/o the regulator installed and run a line to the regulator and then to the 4 way C02 Distribution Manifold Splitter (w/check valves).

I can also fit a 6th ball lock keg on the hump, as shown, as long as I build a collar tall enough.

I could also put the C02 on the outside and run a hose into the keezer.

Based on your experience, should I:

A) Build a collar that will allow for 6 kegs?

B) Should I put the C02 tank inside the keeper or outside?
(I like the idea of being able to control it from outside and get accurate readings but I do also like the clean look of not seeing the tank)

C) If I do put the C02 tank inside, should I attach the regulator via a hose or right to the tank?

I'm open for any advice, suggestions you can offer as well as bringing up points I haven't considered.

I'm new to begging and this is my first go at it.

Appreciate the help folks!!

IMG_2785.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

Looks great! I was looking at that same freezer hoping I could fit 6 kegs in the main area and putting the CO2 outside. 5 still isn't bad.

Couple quick questions for you

Can you fit the just CO2 tank between those two back kegs?

Do you want to or not want to drill holes in the freezer itself?

If you don't mind drilling holes, where are you looking to mount your taps? on top? if so I'd skip the collar unless you really need that 6th keg. The freezer is about 33" tall which seems like a perfect height. (kitchen counters are 36")

Also, if the CO2 fits between those back kegs, i'd remotely mount the regulator (be careful with your screws - maybe glue it instead?) and toss the tank down there.

BUT, if you don't' want to drill holes, then definitely make the collar big enough to fit the 6th keg. and keg the CO2 manifold/regulators attached to the tank since its how its already set up.

Looks great so far, keep us posted!

I haven't tried but pretty sure I can fit the C02 tank between those back kegs.

I'm definitely going to build a collar. I think I'll make it tall enough to fit the 6th keg on the hump. I could also leave the C02 tank there and leave the regulator tank mounted.

Not sure if I can remote mount a tank mount version of the Triprite.

I'm going to mount the taps in front.

I want to avoid drilling holes in the actual freezer.

Did you build the collar? How does it look and how did you make it?

I'm about to build a keezer and am looking at this freezer. I want 6 taps. This freezer is on my short list. Ideally I'd like 6 kegs on the floor, but I'm having difficulty finding a freezer that'll fit that that's not huge and expensive.

Did you build the collar? How does it look and how did you make it?

I'm about to build a keezer and am looking at this freezer. I want 6 taps. This freezer is on my short list. Ideally I'd like 6 kegs on the floor, but I'm having difficulty finding a freezer that'll fit that that's not huge and expensive.

Then I would advise you look at some ~10 cu ft models. Like this 10.6 cu ft one (will fit 7 kegs on the floor just fine):
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-10-6-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-FCM11PHWW/205443672

I looked at that one. I'm not there yet. It costs more than the kenmore, it's really big, and it's on backorder in my area. I'd like to know what the 7+ inch collar looks like on the kenmore.

I looked at that one. I'm not there yet. It costs more than the kenmore, it's really big, and it's on backorder in my area. I'd like to know what the 7+ inch collar looks like on the kenmore.

understandable. FWIW - I got the GE 10.6 cu ft one for $299 including delivery so watch for the sales. That's just $30 more than 8.8cu ft Kenmore.

It does take more space, but if you really want to fit 6-7 kegs instead of 4-5, something has to give.

In retrospect, after using GE 10.6 cu ft for over a year now (with a collar), I now wish I had a freezer that could fit ~10-11 kegs. :)

There's a break in my planning: Either
A) a nice chest freezer with a tower and 6 taps or
B) an upright that efficiently fits 10-11 kegs and room for hops and yeast storage.

A would look nice enough such that SWMBO might allow it inside, and B would be very space efficient in the garage. So I'd really like to see one of these things with the tall collar. Relative to the upright, the 10.6 isn't priced that bad.

You can also think about a shorter keg for on that hump. I have a couple of the original Torpedo kegs from Morebeer. They're short enough I can fit them on my keezer's compressor hump but I can't fit a normal corny keg there. I wanted the collar to be as short as possible because lifting a full keg over a collar is not a pleasant effort for me.

BTW: I used the cushioning that goes under a topper on a pickup truck on my freezer's lip. I had to fill in a bit to make up for thickness, but the collar just sits on top of that--no glue, no silicone, no nothing except the weight of the collar and lid pushing down on that cushioning. This means the collar can be removed if necessary as it just sits there. Having done it this way, I wouldn't do it any other way.

The fascia on the front and sides of the keezer keep it perfectly in place.

keezerpartial.jpg

Back