Keezer doesn't cool, need help finding a replacement.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crider

Reaction score
About 4 years ago I purchased a Kenmore 8.8cf chest freezer (1694) with the intention of making a very nice keezer. Unfortunately (and kindof embarrassingly) I just got around to finish it only to find out that I must have gotten a lemon chest freezer. It cooled fine when I first purchased it but when I just fired it up everything seemed to work perfectly except that it would not cool to below 60F. Some areas would get cold (and even frost over) but the majority of the freezer walls didn't cool down. My best guess is it had a refridgerant leak - not worth trying to repair.

Thankfully, everything I care about is integrated in the lid. Ideally I would buy the exact same model and swap the lid, plug it in, and be good to go. The only problem with that is Sears no longer sells that model and I cannot find it locally on craigslist.

So now I'm looking for a replacement that matches well enough to use my current lid. Obviously I need the top size to be approximately the same size so the lid seals, but I think the biggest problem is that I left very little space for the hinges to attach to the lid (see pic).

Does anyone know of an exact replacement for this chest freezer (it seemed to be very popular for Keezer conversions when I bought it)?

If there are no exact replacements, does anyone have any good ideas for mounting hinges that fit my lid onto a new chest freezer? I really don't want to drill into the back of a new freezer and risk hitting a condenser coil!

20170225_093019.jpg

20170225_094059.jpg

Back