Need help coming up with Abominable Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ltd

Reaction score
Hello all,

So - living in the land of beer (PDX), one of my favorite everyday drinking "Winter/Seasonals" would have to be HUB Abominable Ale. I'm trying to put together something close to it. Below you'll find what I've got so far - and I would greatly appreciate any assistance in refining the recipe.

Fermentables

Ingredient Amount % MCU When

US 2-Row Malt 15lb 0oz 77.9 % 4.9 In Mash/Steeped
Belgian Pilsen Malt 2lb 0oz 10.4 % 0.6 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 80L Malt 1lb 8oz 7.8 % 21.8 In Mash/Steeped
German CaraMunich I 6.00 oz 1.9 % 2.4 In Mash/Steeped
German Carafa II 6.00 oz 1.9 % 29.3 In Mash/Steeped

Hops

Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When

US Cascade 4.5 % 0.50 oz 6.3 Loose Pellet Hops All Of Boil
US Centennial 8.5 % 0.50 oz 11.9 Loose Pellet Hops All Of Boil
US Centennial 8.5 % 0.50 oz 10.6 Loose Pellet Hops 50 Min From End
US Cascade 4.5 % 0.50 oz 5.6 Loose Pellet Hops 50 Min From End
US Simcoe 13.0 % 0.50 oz 13.1 Loose Pellet Hops 30 Min From End
US Simcoe 13.0 % 0.50 oz 3.4 Loose Pellet Hops 5 Min From End

Thanx a bunch,

-A-

5 gallong batch, that's about 1.100 OG, or am I way off. If those #s are IBUs, then that's 50, which isn't a ton given the overall size.

I've never heard of this beer, but saw this:

"Our Winter Ale features a floral, spicy and cirus hop aroma backed up by a subtle, yet complex hop flavor and just the right amount of malt sweetness. Made with organic Canadian Pilsner malt, German Caramunich and Carafa malts, American Caramel malts and Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo and Simcoe Hops. 17 degrees Plato Original Gravity 4.4 degrees Plato Terminal Gravity 7% Alcohol by Volume 55 International Bitterness Units"

So you're just really high on the gravity.

ltd,

Have you made progress with this clone? What adjustments have you made?

Thanks,
Bill

Drinking my first one of these now. Amazing! I can't believe what a great winter IPA it is. Any word on your clone attempt?

HUB's 2012 bottles (and apparently cans, too) say they use Cascade, Centennial, and Chinook to achieve 70 IBU (vs 55 in 2009) plus six organic malts. They make no mention of which malts, giving only a Plato value of 17 degrees. I put together a recipe using McGarnigle's info above, but I'm going to tweak it in light of the info on the bottle.

Back