Need advice on yeast choice for saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polboy

Reaction score
This year im doing a lot of 10 gal batches which i split in two carboys and ferment with some differences (different yeast strains, dry hopping, fruit addition ect), i want to do the same for saison im brewing next week and use 2 different yeasts. So looks like an obvious choice would be 3711 and 3724 strains but recommended fermentation temps are very different for both strains and i will not be able to ferment one at 70 and the other one at 90 in the same time. Is there another strain i could use and would work well at 3711 temp range?, im fermenting triple with 3787 now so it would be easiest for me use this strain, have anyone did saison with 3787?, what do you think about grain and hops bill?
Grain bill, OG 1.055:
14# pils
3# munich 10L
2# rye
1# torrified wheat
1# sugar (added at the beginning of the boil for color and carmel notes)
Hops:
1.5oz saaz and 1.5oz willamet at 60min and at same at 5min (30 ibu)

White Labs 410 is reportedly from Ommegang brewery. It is probably what they use to make their saison Hennepin.

Edit: this is classified as a wit yeast, but it may work for a saison. The other options that you have are to culture some yeast from commercial saison such as Hennepin.

grain bill is on the complex side for a traditional saison, typically the bill is a lot simpler (your rye and wheat push you over the edge of typicality). then again, we're not all here to be traditional or typical, so if the above bill sounds like something you want to try then go ahead and do it. just be sure to let us know how it turned out!

i agree grain bill is little more complex than usual but in my head everything nicely blends together :cross: so i think i will go with this, im still not getting too many ideas about yeasts but now im thinking to make 3711 starter, pitch to both carboys but to one of them also add some brett, i think i will look for beer with bret dregs

Try WLP566/Saison II. I've used 3711 for multiple batches all last summer and had great luck with getting the batch to attenuate. I just started using 566 and it appears to be almost just as hungry as 3711 but produces more interesting flavors.

3725 makes a nice saison as well, and it ferments almost as dry as 3711, works around the same temp range too.

3711 produces a unique mouthfeel and a dry beer that I enjoy, hiwever I've never picked up the "peppery" notes in many descriptions. I'll admit that's the only saison yeast I've used, but to answer your question I've fermented between 70 and 75 with tasty results. Get a blow off tube and enjoy a roaring fermentation!

I've used 565 & 566, 3724, 3711 & 3522.

My personal faves are 3522 and 566.

The great thing about saisons is you can play around and find what you like, there are so many variables.

I do one thing consistent though, and that's keeping it at 68 for the first 3 days. I let it go after that.

I will be trying some new Saison strains ( for me anyways) this year. ECY has a few out that I've gotten my hands on so my faves may change.

Good luck and happy brewing!

Good suggestions, thanks a lot guys. I got myself a bottle of orval and i will try to make a starter from dregs, if successful i will use 3787 washed yeast together with orval starter pitched in the same time in one carboy and in the 2nd regular saison yeast (3711, 566 or 3522- depends whats available in my lhbs)

Back