need advice- installing a trailer hitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GenIke

Reaction score
I tried to install a trailer hitch this afternoon but was unable to get any of the bolts to thread into any of the holes on the vehicles frame. The holes are pre-tapped. Its a newer vehicle but I think there is enough corrosion that the bolt just wont bite into that first thread.

Anyone have any ideas? I tried using some wd-40 and a toothbrush but that didnt seem to make too much of a difference.

A lot of times shipping brackets are attached where the hitch would go and the bolts can be re-used. Otherwise, no bracket was installed and the bolt holes were powdercoated/painted after tapping.

Try driving in a bolt a full turn, back out a quarter turn and repeat a few times. Back out the bolt entirely and blow out any debris. Then repeat. Filing perpendicular slots in the bolt can aide in the process.

A lot of times shipping brackets are attached where the hitch would go and the bolts can be re-used. Otherwise, no bracket was installed and the bolt holes were powdercoated/painted after tapping.

Try driving in a bolt a full turn, back out a quarter turn and repeat a few times. Back out the bolt entirely and blow out any debris. Then repeat. Filing perpendicular slots in the bolt can aide in the process.

No brackets, just exposed holes. I couldnt get any of the bolts to thread into any of the holes at all. I'll try to scrub them up with a wire brush and some penetrating oil.

See if you can get a wire brush mounted in a drill, Run it thru the hole a few times then try bolts. Also are you 100% sure the bolts are the correct size and thread pitch for the holes? Some Standard and Metric look pretty similar but won't interchange.

This may not be necessary to ask, but are the tapped holes metric or American thread?

Last edited:
They're metric, 10mm x 1.25

For those following along, I ended up needing to get a tap to bust through. They were seriously full of corrosion, which surprised me as the vehicle is cherry. thanks for all the advice!

Back